Detraining happens any time we decrease training stimulus, but how quickly does it happen, how can you retain as much fitness as possible, and how should you adjust your race strategy as a result? Join us for a deep dive into this and many other topics in Episode 309 of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast.
More show notes and discussion in the TrainerRoad Forum.
Topics covered in this episode
How quickly do you lose fitness and what kind do you lose first?
- How to adjust your race tactics if you aren’t fit
- Getting the most from a slow group ride
- The hosts’ analysis on the first MTB World Cups
- What contributes to an exceptional performance
- Why Loana Lecomte is so good
- Heart Rate vs. Power vs. RPE
- Flexibility vs. Mobility
- What is more important: aero or power?
- How to find the ideal TT position
- How gaining weight may make you faster
- How to gain weight but still keep your power to weight ratio
Resources mentioned in this episode
- TrainNow is Improving https://bit.ly/33D8a8X
- Introducing Workout Levels https://bit.ly/2RQBypg
- TrainerRoad Training Plan Updates with Workout Levels https://bit.ly/3eFEr5w
- Detraining: What Happens When You Lose Fitness? https://bit.ly/2S8X5K6
- Detraining: Can You Lose Fitness? (Ask a Cycling Coach 293) https://youtu.be/72TwopB-hEw
- Pain, Stretching, Strength and more with The Ready State’s Kelly Starrett – Ask a Cycling Coach 222 https://bit.ly/3ovZ5Is
Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Successful Athletes Podcast
Science of Getting Faster Podcast
For more cycling training knowledge, listen to the Ask a Cycling Coach — the only podcast dedicated to making you a faster cyclist. New episodes are released weekly.
Share this Post