I tested my own changes to Build Phase to increase recovery within the phase (along the lines of the alternate I did for Sweet Spot Base):
- From 3:1 + 3:1 = 8 Weeks Total in the default TrainerRoad configuration.
- To 2:1 + 2:1 + 2:1 = 9 Weeks Total in my modified configuration.
Instructions for Alternate Build or Specialty, Work : Recovery Week Layout:
- Apply the desired Build or Specialty plan to your calendar.
- Push Week 3 down one week.
- Push Week 3 down one week again (this makes two open weeks, after Week 2).
- Copy Week 4 (Recovery) up into the first open week (right after Week 2).
- Move Week 5 up to the final open week (right after the new Week 4 copy).
- Move the Week 5 annotation up to match the week move (this does not happen automatically).
- Pull Week 6 up one week.
The final order is:
- Week 1 = Work
- Week 2 = Work
- Week 4 = Recovery (copied)
- Week 5 = Work (see note below about order)
- Week 3 = Work (see note below about order)
- Week 4 = Recovery
- Week 6 = Work or Taper
- Week 7 = Work or Taper
- Week 8 = Recovery or Taper + Event
- I swap Weeks 3 & 5 to get proper TSS ramp rate upwards (should increase from week to week). As a bonus, Week 5 includes a Ramp Test by default.
- You can swap in a Ramp Test into Week 6 if you want, manually adjust FTP, or leave FTP alone for the final 2:1 segment.