Crashed on Palisade

breaking is more likely then making in this case :wink:
(but that seems to be the general consensus).

palisade is very hard, both on the legs and the lungs. first time I felt my legs for 3 days…
if you can’t make it through the first interval, it’s time for recovery, but also consider an overestimated FTP… (threshold and over unders are a lot less killing since I switched from ramp to 20 minute test, 3% lower)

Are you sure? :wink:
I did my weekend Overunder just 15min ago.
Last weekend it felt horrible, I thought I’ll never do a TR workout again. Last Interval was an all out effort. I felt like I fueled it well enough last weekend (2 gels).
This time I overate a bit within the last 24h and took gels from the beginning on. I couldn’t get 90g/hr in, but even the 70g/hr made it so much easier. It almost felt like cheating. (Although after all these SIS Gels I feel a bit sick now :joy:). It now definitely matched the RPE numbers in the workout description.

Made this for fun…

5 Likes

So, is this the support thread for one fail the wo?
Asking for a friend…

2 Likes

I ran into the Palisade buzzsaw about a month ago and got shredded. On my first attempt, I barely made it through the warmup and knew I wasn’t up for it that day. I tried again the next day and bailed after the first interval. That became the foundation for a reset.

Memorialized here:

Being the stubborn lad that I am, first order of business was to push back my plan a week, insert a Palisade Prep Recovery Week and reattempt it the following week. That worked. Second order of business was to insert extra recovery weeks into my SSMV block inspired by suggestions in Chad McNeese’s post Alternate Sweet Spot Base, Work : Recovery Week Layout.

2 Likes

My throat was actually sore for several hours from the breathing required to get my through Palisade! That hasn’t happened on any other TR workout, before or since. Mind you, I have McAdie +1 today so …

EDIT: Similar outcome after McAdie, but at least I made it!

4 Likes

“Jim 0 - Palisade 6”. Hilarious!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl: That’s why I like this thread so much.

2 Likes

Every time I see this thread, I think of a car crash on the Palisades Parkway.

1 Like

Hey Chad, What’s the 4-3-3 plan?

That is my Alternate Sweet Spot Base program. Adds another recovery week, by altering the default 5:1 Work : Recovery ratio.

I also did one to swap Build and Specialty from 3:1 to 2:1 (with an extra recovery week as well).

2 Likes

First time I did Palisade was a Saturday morning, a rarity for me. Totally crushed me at the time and is still, to this day, the workout that dominates my thinking the week before more than any other. Anything else in SSBLV is simply ‘easier’, even Mary Austin -1 doesn’t seem as bad. I think it is the psychology of the 2on-1off ratio. Every time I complete now I get a huge motivational lift.

I just ALMOST crushed carpathian peak +2 yesterday.

I got cocky I think lol. I have a history of consistent difficulty with over-unders. Went in yesterday with the attitude of ‘I have the fitness for this, I know I have the fitness for this, I’m just going to endure it.’

And I DID…until the last ‘over’ of the last interval…when my mindset changed from ‘I’m going to gut this out’ to ‘I’ve got this in the bag.’

I’m still happy with my performance…just a couple backpedals in the last ~3’ of one interval, but still it is a reminder of how much a difference focus/mindset makes.

1 Like

I switched to mid-volume this block and have carpathian peak +2 tomorrow also rather than the normally scheduled Palisade. I’m looking forward to it.

I did something slightly similar and went back to SSBMV1. The lower intensity allowed me to survive with a house full of people over the Chrissy period.
Palisade was last weekend. This weekend is McAdie+1. :star_struck:

I did palisade (admittedly the -2 version) on monday after only three hours of sleep the previous night, and found it entirely doable…
Mind you I’m pretty strong at treshold; Vo2max on the other hand :fearful:

Did palisade today.
I really Like it!
For me, VO2max is more difficult.

1 Like

Did this one today after having four 8.9% tall boys last night. Had to look up if this work out is really hard or hangover haha. I’m glad that it’s just hard and wasn’t the tall boys. :laughing:

Right… completed Palisade first time. I’ve never been able to do that during SS Base I in 2020 or 2019. For those who also struggle here are my tips:

1. Don’t ever think that you have 5 x 9 min pieces. Convince yourself that doing 3 is a result
  2. Focus on the current minute only
  3. Try to keep your power and cadence consistent within each over and under, don’t jump around too much. This is easier on a smart turbo
  4. On the first minute of each set don’t chase the target too much, it might be a bit lower as you are starting from a lower power (ie the 6min rest). Let the smart turbo set the agenda
  5. Have some mental images when it gets tough. For some reason I visualise Indurain powering up Alpe d’Huez. Today I was thinking of a clip of a group lead by Fignon powering up Galibier… not sure how that got in my head but it helped. In the last 30s of an ‘over’ I was thinking of a friend of mine chasing me up Alpe d’Huez… I had to fend him off until Dutch Corner
  6. I tend to count. Counting to 40 makes a minute pass, sometimes I count to 8 over and over
  7. Once you get 3 done, if you’re tired just see out the 6 minute rest after the third set… you’ll recover
  8. Get 4 done and you can hang on for the 5th… of course you can
  9. Good music
6 Likes

Did Palisade today and found it not that bad. Admittedly I ate a Gel before each interval, so fueling was good.
I expect McAdie+1 to be much harder. :scream:

1 Like

Another thing I noticed. Previously I’ve done Palisade at the end of SSB LV but this time I’m doing Mid Volume. I think it makes a reasonable difference

1 Like