The podcast hosts are back from Kona and share everything you need to know before climbing Mauna Kea. As Nate gets ready for another long trip overseas, we share the best on-the-go training setups, tips for how to keep your training on track while traveling, and 5 strength training exercises for cyclists.
Topics covered in this episode
- Live podcast recording w/Matt Fitzgerald November 4 at Rapha San Francisco, with group ride thereafter!
- What we learned from riding Mauna Kea
- How to pace a high elevation climb
- What to wear when climbing Mauna Kea
- What type of bike to ride for Mauna Kea
- Do you need multiple bikes for Mauna Kea?
- What gearing is best for Mauna Kea?
- Nutrition plan for Mauna Kea
- How to avoid back pain when riding
- What gearing do you actually “need” for cross racing?
- How to follow a training plan when traveling
- Which trainer is best to use when traveling?
- What power meter is best for traveling?
- What workouts maintain fitness when traveling?
- Passing and singletrack etiquette for bike racing
- Is it okay to bump another racer?
- Should you let a faster rider by on single track?
- 5 strength training exercises for cycling
For more cycling training knowledge, listen to the Ask a Cycling Coach — the only podcast dedicated to making you a faster cyclist. New episodes are released weekly.