Sonya Looney is a 24-Hour Solo World Champion, multi-time National Champion and legend in the ultra-endurance and stage racing MTB scene. She joined us at 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo to share what she does to train, prepare and execute at a world-class level. Tune in, get faster, and follow Sonya’s racing on her social channels @sonyalooney and through her podcast, The Sonya Looney Show.
More show notes and discussion in the TrainerRoad Forum.
Topics covered in this episode
- Sonya Looney’s background
- Where Sonya won her 24 Hour World Champion title
- When to start eating solid food during a 24 hour race
- Sonya’s tire choice for 24 HOP
- Managing Lights for 24 hour races
- A consistent pacing strategy for 24 hour racing
- How and where should people be to aid the riders
- Checkboxes for a team going into a 24 hour race
- What does Sonya do when she finishes her lap
- Hydration and nutrition on the bike
- Pacing using your power meter
- What to do leading up to a 24 hour race
- Tips on Stage Racing from Sonya
- How to recon for a stage race
- How to adapt to heat during your training
- How to deal with a bad day during a stage race
- Strategies for picking a team mate
- Advice from a pro to a joe about 24 hour racing
- How winning the World Champs felt
For more cycling training knowledge, listen to the Ask a Cycling Coach — the only podcast dedicated to making you a faster cyclist. New episodes are released weekly.
Share this Post