Hello, after searching some threads I am hoping this is the best thread to post my question to albeit a bit dated of a thread. I am looking for some validation to thought process.
Relatively new to endurance training and structured bike training. I have been on TR almost 2 years I think with the first year noodling around a bit and this last year being more structured with it. I did SSB 1&2 and gained 20watts though that with real power (previously used virtual) and just over 3 watts/Kg (so hopefully more room to grow).
Went through SPB and hardly gained any watts, only 2. I did find the longer sweetspot and threshold workouts very difficult and could not meet the targets The VO2 workouts I had better compliance with but they were tough as well.
I am trying to do my plan within Mon-Fri and have the weekend for an 3-4 hour outdoor ride.
I trying to ride about 5 days a week so in my mind I see that as a mid volume plan. However, my gut is telling me now that this is too much for me.
I am also trying to run 1-2 times per week so I have been trying to fit that in on the weekday I don’t ride and then possible a second run on a weekday where I also road in the morning.
My motivation is still high, however, I am thinking this has been too much for me and thus not being able to do the workouts as prescribed and also the negligible gains through SPB.
My thought now (as plan builder has me stawrting this week do 2 weeks of SSB and the Cenutry specialty) is to go back to:
- Low volume Mon, Thurs, & Fri.
- Add a 1 hr endurance ride Tues.
- Run Wed
- Outdoor ride on weekend 3-4 hours (downside to this is if I ride Saturday I could be quite fatigued for it but upside is I could do nothing Sunday)
My outdoor rides are often solo so no hammer fest, however, I do try to push myself and do well on some segments are end with a good average speed (trying to get to 30Km/hr, currently about 28km/hr)
- Maybe second short run Sunday 30-45 easy zone 2
My thought is to NOT try and edit a mid volume plan anymore as:
- I don’t think I can really consider my outdoor weekend ride as replacing one of the prescribed TR workouts (I have tried doing outdoor workouts and so far, I find it a bit difficult to execute)
- I also am a little more time constrained during the week and doing anything over 75 min on the bike is tough, more than once a week as I ride in the mornings first thing. Maybe I can do 1 90min sessions mon-fri
If you have managed to read my entire post and have any comments on my thought process and approach, thank you very much. Still hoping for some decent FTP bumps before the end of Sept.