Ramp Test Follow-up Workouts

I’m with you, @brenph, it ruins me for the day. But maybe I’m just not as tough as I used to be. :wink:

1 Like

I’ve just done a ramp test, and there was no way on God’s earth that I was able to do another workout!!! I did ten minutes of gentle spinning to cool down, but was utterly spent. It was my intention to do one of the recommended workouts afterwards, but I could do no more!

3 Likes

Nothing wrong with that. In fact, it basically shows that you gave it all in the test, and that is the most important thing to do.

(I need to work on that myself and not bail early, which I do too often.)

1 Like

So…I did ramp test yesterday as just finished SS base 2 (low volume) and about to start low volume sustained power build.
Planned on doing carillion -5 afterwards…or Taku if felt too knackered…well…
Pushed so so hard on ramp test (rise from 278 to 291) and in no fit state to even do Taku afterwards!!! Did warm down at about 50-60W whilst slumped over bars, then staggered to the back door (I work out in the garage), having to stop and be little sick half way.

So…Felt I finally pushed myself enough on ramp test!!! Problem is can I push myself that hard next time for a fair comparison!!! Lol.

I would say, if you can do much more than Taku…could you have gone harder on ramp test?

5 Likes

I’m generally able for one of the endurance workouts, but admittedly I normally take 5 off the bike…

1 Like

I have used Carter after my last 2 tests. Bailed in the first attempt due to exhaustion from the Ramp.

Finished it after the 2nd Ramp, but it sure felt like work, for being such an easy workout.

I did Birch after my ramp test last night - - I was a little worried starting out that it was going to be too much effort, but it turned out well after the legs flushed out a bit. I think having the short and varying intervals really helped as did following the cadence targets. I don’t think I could have grinded away steady the whole time with Pettit or the like.

2 Likes

I did the same 2 weeks ago and felt the same as you have described :+1:t3:

3 Likes

This is absolutely my experience. I generally struggle to even finish the 5 minutes of cooldown after. I’m not sure if I’m digging extra deep or what, but I end up with quivering legs and a deep desire to not pedal more. That’s been true despite my fitness level, too, so the toll is not simply a result of being untrained, in my case.

1 Like

i am a reasonably well trained athlete at 4.7 w/kg (74 kg) and British elite roadie. but i have never managed to get through any sweet spot work post ramp test. just mentally i think i don’t have the matchs left and i have nearly always failed or turned it way down.
so tired bashful -5 after a 15 min cool-down and it was spot on, you can just get on with it knowing the pain is always nearly over. To me it also makes a ton of sense having done a hard vo2 max effort in the ramp to do a bit more vo2 work to make it a session.
would recommend anyone to give it a try.

regards

paddy

1 Like

Turns out it depends (more work after Ram test). Last winter I planned some workouts after but bailed because I just couldn’t. Taku or Volunteer was the most I could handle. But did a ramp test recently (28th of Dec) after 4 days of no bike and 30 min easy endurance the evening before it. I pushed myself hard, 4 minutes above 95% HR peak, hit HR peak at the end. I didn’t do any VO2Max work recently so that might have had an influence on the numbers. I’ve finished tired but after cool down I felt pretty ok. Afterwards I did 30 min at 85% of FTP as a test with 10 min additional cool down before start and 2x20 at the same intensity. I think a lot of rest during Christmas allowed me to do that. I was fresh although legs didn’t feel great for the ramp test.