Pain, Stretching, Strength and more with The Ready State's Kelly Starrett – Ask a Cycling Coach 222

Uhhh, you are gonna need one for each hand as well…
sorry not sorry!!!
Kelly

2 Likes

That’s all the justification I need to order the 4th kettlebell. Thanks :+1:

My routine consists of (mostly) dynamic and static (aka pulling on things) type of work, including a couple of things from Kelly’s book. Works for me so I’ll keep doing it. Old farts like me need all the help we can get. :older_man:

1 Like

Wow. Didn’t know stretching was so controversial lol. Do what works for you. For me stretching/yoga at night makes the slammed bike more comfortable. It shouldn’t matter to anyone else, nor should anyone care (which would render this post completely useless).

Can anyone point me in the direction of a Kettlebell routine that they have used and had success with?

7 Likes

SB,
Test retest is all that matters aka. Better same worse. Great work figuring out how to stay on the bike!
Kelly

1 Like

Please publish a written transcription. I’m sure Google AI can do a pretty good job of that. I CANNOT LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST WITHOUT GETTING A HEADACHE! The ringing in the background just sucks.
Thanks

PS…

The bit i did listen to i thought i was listening to an infomercial complete with live crowd cheers and everything. Selling me a blender or something maybe? I bought two bullet blenders a 15 years ago and I’m still using the one i kept today… lol

1 Like

Kelly,

Just writing to say thank you for your work! A PT friend turned me onto the mobility project youtube series back in…2010ish? You taught a bunch of us on my old rugby club to take care of ourselves, and there’s no doubt in my mind I got to play for years longer than I would have because of it.

Hit the YouTube, click on the “…”, and then “open transcript.” Not perfect, but pretty darn good.

2 Likes

@KellyStarrett I found this to be a super interesting conversation, thanks. While I have tried to pay attention to generally being able to access my body via rolling and some dynamic work I haven’t thought much about ankle stability/flexibility but I recently had a mysterious swelling on the inner side of one ankle, that took two weeks to get past (could ride but running hurt), so this conversation peaked my curiosity.
I can very often “crack” my ankles, meaning I can rotate them around and make popping like noises (I’ve always assumed this is like cracking your knuckles) - is this a sign of tightness /lack of function?. Also - if I understood what you said in the talk correctly, if our ankles are supple then our feet should naturally be straight (ie neutral cleat setting), or in other words any duck footedness is cause only by lack of mobility/tightness?

I totally thought this too.
After bailing on the podcast I decided to revisit through the YouTube feed. It was way better in that format.
I realised Kelly gets quite excited when talking about his profession/passion. A picture speaks a thousand words right?
He wants you to try out his coaching business. Just like TR. And like TR, he believes in what he’s saying.
That was my take on the video version of the podcast.

I did notice that poor old Jonathan is trying to keep interruptions to a minimum. As requested.
I even noticed it in the latest podcast.
Don’t lose your spark Jonathan. 5 stars every time from me.

Anyway, @KellyStarrett. I liked your take on things and wanted to give your program a go.
Could you advise on a basic set of equipment to get me started? I’m happy to grab a few kettle bells as I’m moving interstate in a few weeks and will lose access to any other other equipment until I find a new house.
(Bike and trainer will come with).

For the record, I’ve done the bone out of the leg thing and have to keep on top of my injuries. 20 years on and I still spent the day balancing on roof rafters carrying 25-50kg beams/rafters to teach the young guys how it’s done. Remember all that trigonometry you thought you’d never need? Pythagoras? Bah!
I hate sitting at a desk. Your take on mobility really resonated with me.

Cheers.
Ross.

@KellyStarrett

Would love to see a video or something on a dynamic warmup or some recommended mobilization stuff that you find common to cyclists on your Youtube - just a selfish request :slight_smile:

I was checking your stuff out over the weekend and have your book on vacation here in Greece. It’s a bit overwhelming but I hope to knock off at least the theory chapter in between some bike rides.

1 Like

Well that was an hour of my life I’ve never get back.
Needs a sponsored tag or something.
An hour of saying the same thing in a 100 different ways, but saying nothing, it was like lessening to a politician. About 1 minutes worth, maybe three or four sentences of useful or interesting stuff.
I have lessened to every episode, some twice and that was the worst by far on every level, including the sound quality.
Anyone want to buy a book or sign up to a subscription service?

6 Likes

Heard the podcast ; “multiple business” + “I have a house in truckee” = that guy is a big dog (and he looks like one too)
Anyways, movement is good, started doing some L/R movements (superman / crawling baby whatever they are called)

I had a really hard time figuring any takeaways from this podcast. Not being snarky, just legitimately at a loss for what to do here.

Does anyone have anything concrete to point to?

7 Likes

The takeaways are buy the books, visit our website. Other than that have a functional body, for what you ask of it.

Who would of guessed?
IMO, Nothing new or to be learnt. Functional strength and conditioning is important (as if we didn’t know.) Subscribe to Kelly for further information.

3 Likes

I came away feeling the same. I was hoping for a few movements for cyclists, maybe a couple of stretches, nothing,nada, zip. Well he did mention the couch stretch so I’ll give him that.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure he invented the couch stretch? He’s got a fair bit of free content floating around on YouTube and such if you want to see some basics. (199 episodes of MobilityWOD).

It was an awkward podcast no doubt.
See what happens when Jonathan doesn’t get involved as much.

1 Like

I’m struggling to not say anything too mean. I’m sure that working with Kelly 1-on-1 would be very beneficial, but I also get tired of the way it seems everyone coaching “mobility” seems to have their own private language around coaching and physiology.

Do they coach things that work? Probably. Are the things that they coach materially better than what you would get from doing a little strength training, doing a little mobility work, and seeing a local sports physio for any ongoing or bigger problems? Frankly, I don’t think so. And that’s being intentionally vague about any of the details, because I bet doing something along those lines is 80% of the benefit.

2 Likes

My biggest takeaway was the comment about making mobility part of your daily routine and making it easy to do during the day.

I spent the afternoon trying out his website. It’s pretty clunky compared to TR today. Could do with a calendar function.

I tried out the section on pain. I’ve been sick all week and had to work hard. My lower back is hurting.
No concrete evidence, as in a peer reviewed study.

I feel like I’ve done a session with my physio.
The videos were informative and easy to understand. Most of the movements were familiar. Abductor smash thingy was new and awesome. Even the couch stretch was better than what I’ve been doing.

This guy is really good at his game. No infomercial here. MHO.