Hey all, Jonathan here.
Consider this post a live chat room and post-podcast discussion area for all things Episode 176 of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast. We’ll be live this morning at 8:00am Pacific, and you can tune in below.
Note: If you experience lag with the embedded live stream, view the stream from this link: Episode 176
Here are the topics we are covering today:
- TrainerRoad kits now available!
- New TrainerRoad Calendar
- TrainerRoad Pricing Updates
- Peter Stetina’s Sierra Prospect
- Best tires for grass cyclocross courses
- Why starts don’t always matter in cyclocross racing
- Ride with the coaches in Kona!
- When should you not train in the aero position
- How to peak twice in one year
- What is block periodization, and how should you use it?
- Should you skip pedaling drills?
- Why your heart rate stays high after a hard start
- How to fuel early morning workouts
- Do support crews make racing unfair?
Feel free to leave comments and questions below. We’ll read through them at the end of the livestream!
Reno Cross 2018 UCI Elite Women podium:
Results are linked here
Learn more about TrainerRoad’s new Calendar feature, forum, and kits:
If you need help adding your current training plan to your Calendar, check out the following Help Center article: Add Your Current TrainerRoad Training Plan
Photos from Coach Jonathan’s trip to Squamish, British Columbia:
Nate’s Reno Cross Races:
Nate’s Tire Choices:
- 40c - 25PSI F/R
- 33c - 28-30PSI F/R
Jonathan’s Reno Cross Race:
Jonathan’s Tire Choice:
TrainerRoad’s Plans for Kona:
Ride for Tuesday, October 9th:
Captain Cook (46 miles/74 kms, 4k’ Elevation Gain)
Ride for Wednesday, October 10th:
Kaloko Drive (28 miles/45 kms, 4,600’ Elevation Gain)
Ride for Thursday, October 11th:
Waimea Loop (47 miles/76 kms, 3,400’ Elevation Gain)
Ride for Friday, October 12th:
Captain Cook (46 miles/74 kms, 4k’ Elevation Gain OR a slightly shortened version)
Blog Posts/Podcasts mentioned in this episode:
Podcast episode on training residuals:
- Aerobic Endurance – Establishment: 25-35 days; Residuals: 25-35 days
- Anaerobic Power – Establishment: 14-22 days; Residuals 14-22 days
- Muscle Endurance/Threshold – Establishment: 10-20 days; Residuals: 10-20 days
- Sprint Power – Establishment: 2-8 days; Residuals: 2-8 days
Declines in Aerobic Capacity:
- 1-7 days: negligible decrease
- 10-14 days: 6% decrease
- 14-30 days: 12% decrease
- 30-63 days: 19% decrease
- >63 days: 26% decrease
Minimum we can do to stay fast:
- Aerobic Endurance – Once every 2 weeks, do a long, low-intensity ride. Ride long enough that the fatigue comes as a product of the ride’s duration, not its intensity. Example: Laurentian
- Anaerobic Power – Once a week. Something along the lines of 30- to 60-second repeats upwards of 130% FTP should suffice. Example: Bird -1
- Muscle Endurance/Threshold – Once a week. Try a 2×20-minute Threshold or even Sweet Spot workout. Example: Eichorn
- Sprint Power – Once a week. Perform 4-6 all-out efforts somewhere between 20-30 seconds long. Example: Bays
Workout fuel mentioned in the episode: