Combining and shortening Sweet Spot Base 1+2 (4 work weeks each) - Training Plan Modification

Inspired by Alternate Sweet Spot Base, Work : Recovery Week Layout I came up with another approach of combining and shortening Sweet Spot Base 1+2.

I plan to use this as the second Base phase in a progression of:

• Base 1+2 => Build => Base 1+2 => Build

whereas my alternative would have been to just go standard

• Base 1+2 => Build => Base 2 => Build

The adjusted plan skips the easy first 2 weeks of SSB 1 and then consists of 2 parts with 4 work weeks each. In order to get a very nice and continuous TSS progression the coarse overall arrangement of the weeks is as follows with some fine tuning explained below (I used the mid volume plans but it should be ok for low volume too):

Base Part 1 - (4 Work Weeks, 1 Recovery Week)

1. Sweet Spot Base 1 - Week 3
  2. Sweet Spot Base 2 - Week 1
  3. Sweet Spot Base 1 - Week 4
  4. Sweet Spot Base 1 - Week 5
  5. Sweet Spot Base 1 - Week 6 Recovery

Base Part 2 - (4 Work Weeks, 1 Recovery Week)

1. Sweet Spot Base 2 - Week 2
  2. Sweet Spot Base 2 - Week 3
  3. Sweet Spot Base 2 - Week 4
  4. Sweet Spot Base 2 - Week 5
  5. Sweet Spot Base 1 - Week 6 Recovery

How to do it step by step including the fine tuning:

• Add SSB 1 to calendar
  • Add SSB 2 to calendar after SSB 1
  • Delete first two weeks of SSB 1
  • Move week 3 of SSB 1 to start of SSB 1 and delete Tuesday workout
  • Move week 1 of SSB 2 to second week of SSB 1 and then move the Tuesday Ramp Test one week ahead
  • Pull week 4 of SSB 1 one week (so that weeks are contiguous again)
  • Pull week 2 of SSB 2 (so that weeks are contiguous again)
  • Move Tuesday workouts of SSB 1 weeks 4 and 5 one week ahead and of SSB 2 week 2 two weeks ahead
  • Add Ramp Test to Tuesday of week 2 of SSB 2
2 Likes

I’ve thought about this, and would likely just cut a repeat of SSB short and do a 4-week block using weeks 3-6 of SSB-2 (with ramp the first workout of block).

For a full repeat of base I’d probably just do a 4-week block using weeks 3-6 of SSB-1. And followed by another 4-week block using weeks 3-6 of SSB-2. Both with a ramp test the first workout of the block.

Not trying to resurrect an old thread but I followed this plan exactly with the exception of adding 15-20 min of endurance to the end of 1-2 workouts per week. Also some minor shuffling within the week to accommodate schedule.

The reason for the post is to say it works. I had a 2% increase after the first block and 4% after second.

I started this before plan builder came out and decided to just stick with it. A little background-I have been training with TR for a few years so the gains are smaller at this point. I am very happy with the results of this. If you’re looking to cut time off the base period, use this.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing your feedback and nice to see it worked for you!