44 min Ramp test : flawed results?

Hi everyone,
I received my Wahoo kickr core this morning and I signed in TR immediately after ! I am so thrilled to begin this adventure ! I did a ramp test and as I had absolutely no idea of my fitness level, the app proposed a 131 ftp to calibrate the first test. I ended up at 327 watts for one minute (it was the 34th stage) which gave me an ftp of 245 watts. However, the test lasted for 44 minutes. It was so long that the app even stopped talking to me haha. Just wanted to know if it could flaw the results ? I understood the test was rather supposed to last for about 20-25 min.
The question has low practical interest because I will take another test tuesday as my first workout of SSB training plan, but I find the theoretical aspect interesting.

2 Likes

That sounds like a brutal way to figure out your FTP - but I wouldn’t say it’s inaccurate. Best way to find out would probably be to do another test with it set at 245…it’ll be a lot shorter, but if it’s accurate you’ll probaly be right back at 245.

2 Likes

No idea…but I guess we’ll see on Tuesday! Make sure report back!

1 Like

A typical ramp test, at least from what I’ve seen, lasts between 20-30 minutes. I wouldn’t worry about it too much though. Just do the one on Tuesday with this new ftp and it should put you where you need to be.

1 Like

With your ftp nearly double the estimate, the step size would have been half of what it normally is. That means, you spend nearly twice the amount of time near your ftp. I’d expect that to have a bit of an effect and your fto to be even higher.

There’ll also be an effect from you getting used to the kickr and TR.

In any case, you won’t do too much wrong if you use 245 as your ftp for a bit. Might be useful to do a longer threshold workout (Lamarck) to see how you get on.

2 Likes

It’s probably about right. The same thing happened to my wife the first time on TR, the damn thing just took forever.

I’m actually a fan of starting a little low to get the feel for TR/indoor training. Use 245 for several workouts to get into it, then test again in one to two weeks.

Enjoy, and welcome to TR!!

1 Like

Make sure you do a factory calibration of your Core before the test. I started last year with a new 2017 Kickr, and my first several ramp tests went way beyond Coach Chad’s exhortations. Only after trying to correlate with power pedals did I eventually realize that the Kickr was way off in terms of power readings. A factory calibration brought it in line.

1 Like

Will do !

Ok guys, so I couldn’t wait until tuesday and did the TR 8 minutes ftp test today. ì made sure the Core was calibrated (it was last time though). It resulted in a 256 ftp. So a difference but no that great and it maybe due to the different testing protocol.

2 Likes