Two potential races in a recovery week-what should I do?

Hey all, so I am on the third week of a loading phase and next week is a recovery week. I have two potential races next week, a road race on Saturday and a time trial the Thursday before. Currently neither of those are on my training calendar within tr, because the scheduling dates were very tentative for so long.
Does anyone have any advice on how to approach next week? Both races would be a lot of fun to do, but it makes it tricky since they are in a technical recovery week. Having to restart my season in January after injuries and illness, and unknown dates, those factors meant I never put them in the calendar because I didn’t know when. Now they are both here lol. I would love some suggestions on how to work this.
Do I turn next week into a training week, but drop the intensity and volume and then do a recovery week after? Do I just recover like normal but do both races?
And for any option I do, please let me know what the technical method of making those changes might be. For example, I could just add the races to my calendar, but that might mess up when my recoveries are and have me doing a 6-week phase without a break LOL. I’d love to hear some suggestions on how to shoehorn these races in 🫠
Edit: I should mention that I had thumb surgery a few weeks ago, and then it got slightly infected and I was on antibiotics. That’s another reason why I had no idea if I would be able to race even when I finally knew the dates, since I didn’t know if my thumb would be well enough for me to even manage it.

I would race and push your recovery week to the following

2 Likes

Came here to say exactly this.

1 Like

What’s the best way to push the recovery? I know there is a push option somewhere in the app, but I don’t want my entire season to change too much because of it.
And as for practical advice, I would assume treat it as a taper week then?

There used to be a pieceo functionality that allowed you to push/pull weeks within your training calendar. That’s gone, so I don’t really know how you do it now.

On paper your season might “change”, but physiologically it likely won’t. My question for you is, are these important races (I assume not) or training races (I assume). I would treat next week like a super compensatory week and overload within reason. I.e. don’t go full gas both races and leave yourself totally shattered, but use them to work on tactics, maybe some efforts here and there, etc.

Then have an awesome rest week and hopefully see some nice adaptive changes.

1 Like

Okay, now I’m REALLY not sure what to do lol. I was going to treat it as a taper week and rest after, but this forecast looks…less than promising.


What would YOU do in my situation? :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, my decision was made for me. Snowed most of the week. One race cancelled the other moves to August. Recovery week it is!
Here are some traffic can pics of the race route from the other day: