High intensity rides during SSB I

Good morning,

Due to a nagging injury from last fall I have just got back to biking 4 weeks ago while starting the SSB I Low volume plan 2 weeks ago. i was able to keep a little fitness through the winter with a few swims a week and strength training. Nothing substantial but i was not on the couch either.

My question is: I would like to participate in my clubs weekly rides which have started this month. I chose the low volume plan to accommodate the stress from these rides. Try as i might, i can never fully hold back on these rides and they end up being fun but very hard, surgie and high intensity.

Assuming i am feeling rested and able to complete my prescribed workouts is this OK to mix into the SSB I plan?
Or do i need to focus hard to keep the intensity in the SS or below intensity?

Sorry if this has been asked before, i did a quick search and couldn’t find anything close. please send me the link if there is already a thread on this!

As long as you are getting your SSBI LV workouts done and feel reasonably doing them, I don’t see this as a problem. It’s pretty common for individuals to go to a lower volume plan to accomondate some outdoor riding.

You will want to keep an eye on your TSS though. The plans are designed to slowly increase the TSS week to week, so you may want to gear the outdoor rides so that you still get that consistent progression week to week.

As always, be sure to get your rest and focus on recovery and nutrition too.

1 Like

Depends what your goals are. If you are looking for general conditioning, just go as you feel.

If you are looking to have the best form for an A-event. Those group rides are not ideal because you are spending reasonable time in the anaerobic zone which can be counterproductive to the workouts in the base phase.