First Race Expectations, Beating the Breakaway, Rest Week Diets and More – Ask a Cycling Coach 242

Setting expectations for the first race of the season, race tactics for when you miss the break, what to eat during a rest week and more is all covered in Episode 242 of The Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast.

Youtube Live Video:

Topics covered in this episode:

Subscribe to the Podcast

Listen to previous episodes on SoundCloud

Episode Notes:

5 Likes

Does anyone know what leads to the video being restricted “Try logging into your G Suite Account”?

Excited to see @Nate_Pearson pulled the trigger and can’t wait to hear how the first rides go. I am intrigued by the bike and want to try riding one. I see it as a MTB’er gravel bike that can handle anything you throw at it.

I see this selection as a good one for those wanting more confidence in less than stable conditions that can happen in variable gravel rides. It’s akin to the choice of a new MTB rider picking something like an enduro bike that is super stable and predictable, vs an XC whippet that is much more twitch.

Main Evil Chamois Hagar page:
https://www.evil-bikes.com/a/bikes/chamois-hagar

Reviews:

• The Chamois Hagar takes the rock n’ roll attitude from the mountain bike world and combines it with the speed and pedaling position of an aggressive road bike. The result? A unique ride that’s a whole lot of fun.

• The faster you ride the Evil, the more confident you feel. It’s almost as if you have to break the sound barrier first.*

3 Likes

Screenshot_20200123-175837

I kid, I kid, it does look like a fun bike!

9 Likes

For @Nate_Pearson

How I Got a Top 10 Finish at the Dirty Kanza 200 - YouTube

1 Like

I heard compliance numbers talked about around the 30min mark. Where do I find those? I don’t see them anywhere. Did I just mishear that?

EDIT: Maybe I just misheard that; Nate says, at 27:40, “I look at other people’s failure rates” so I guess he’s just looking at the visual graph. Makes sense.

1 Like

Well, my bet is on Nate & crew having more, better, different ways to access the workout data than our simple user tools. Maybe we will gain access to some of those with the advancements they have teased… :wink:

2 Likes

Yo…two things, I dig TR…a lot. Five stars, and all that. :grin: Seriously. However, I had my first real disagreement with the guys today. I do not think the eating on the bike discussion today was accurately describing how the majority of people should fuel for long, all day efforts.

It’s true, you can and should practice fueling on the bike because you can train your body to utilize all sorts of different energy supplies. I have done just that. I am only speaking from my own experience, but I have done dozens and dozens of Century rides and gravel Fondo’s, and a diverse selection of whole foods, gels, shot blocks and different drink mixes and science in my water bottle is what has gotten me through. For me, the idea of riding Dirty Kanza on mostly drink mixes and gel’s as my source of fuel is crazy! Personally I would be well carb loaded and then begin a regiment heavy on sipping and nibbling all day. I also did the Coast Ride again this year…love it, and please come out next year Nate and Jonathan. It was cool to see Pete there, and Whole food was my staple as it was mixed with the science/bike food. Drink mix, gels, shot blocks, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, dried fruit, mixed nuts, etc. And repeat over and over…

Calories and carbohydrates. This is nothing that isn’t very well known, but diversity is so good for my body and my mind and it really helps encourage me to keep peddling six, eight, or 10+ hours into a hard ride… there’s a whole lot more to it than that but I won’t bore you anymore. That’s just my experience

On another point…The Evil looks like I literal metric TON of fun… Buuuut, I wonder if it is the best choice for Kanza. maybe it is, but you’re a racer, and a racier bike seems like it would suit you more @Nate_Pearson. Have you looked at this?

I just ask because this thing is fast, no kidding and super comfy. I imagine you have looked at it, so thoughts? Ok, I’ll be honest. I recently bought one myself. I put some wheels on it and a power meter, and I am loving it. I have had lots and lots of bikes of all kinds, and this thing is just a blast. It is so comfortable and holy smokes fast as heck… I’m amazed how it does both comfy and fast so well… Just a bunch of my random thoughts…tootles

3 Likes

@Nate_Pearson is a super switched on internet savvy dude, there’s no way he’d ride a Cervelo unless he changes careers. This subreddit says it all. 10w/Kg Club

3 Likes

I’ve agonised over posting this and I’m probably going to get flamed for it, but here goes anyway. I love the content of the podcast and listen every week, religiously. I’ve learnt so much about training, nutrition and physiology and I really enjoy the dynamic between all the guys. Unfortunately, there’s a small matter that is increasingly spoiling my enjoyment, to the point where I may even have to stop listening. I know many will find it petty, but the constant use of the word “like” as redundant filler whilst discussing a topic is driving me nuts! It’s used literally dozens of times during an average episode, Jonathan being the prime “offender”, closely followed by Nate. I mean no disrespect whatsoever to the guys, but are you aware of it and is it really necessary? Perhaps it’s a California thing? I really hope this will be taken constructively and is in no way meant to cause offence.

1 Like

Surely this has been addressed in the strength training thread, but would it be a reasonable workout routine to just follow all the benchmark movements?

I haven’t noticed it before, but surely I will now. I think that’s a very reasonable complaint and it’d be good of them to be cognizant of that issue. Jonathan’s overuse of “thereafter” gets me as well, but it’s pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

They do always emphasize to let them know what they can do better!

If it has been addressed (I don’t know, but suspect it is), then it will most likely be in the original post:

1 Like

Like, what are you talking about?

1 Like

Anyone else catch the “more podcast content coming soon… different” part from this show?

Color me interested.

7 Likes

Lol. @Nate_Pearson, you proved you can’t go long without going long at Leadville man :joy: You almost died at the end.

The greater conversation though was one of the best bits of advice I think I have ever heard on the podcast about the long term out look and the knock on effects of weeks and even months down the road. It really extends even to years.

In fairness, he was ripping until he got a bad pack with fluid and nutrition he could not really ingest for the final leg. With a cooler pack and contents he could have taken in, I think that last stretch and his finish would have gone much better for him.

• I’m not really saying anything new, since that is what they all discussed in the related summary podcast, just a reminder of the most likely cause for the hard ending.

I think that was due to no water 3 hours on a hot day.

I went sub 9 with bad descending and super dehydration. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I know the whole saga. My comments was pretty tongue in cheek, I was just leading into my main point about looking at the chronic loading over weeks and months, but it’s absolutely a case in point about cycling that distance is supported by training for it. A GT contender training profile is indicative of the methodology needed to perform at one’s best. Had he done extensive volume, aimed at lower VlaMax and higher FatMax, he would have been at much easier physiological state over that course.

I understand not everyone can, or even wants, to focus on that sort of training depending on goals, time, life etc… But training for it with big distance absolutely is the most effective.

1 Like

Man, you were awesome. I’m not slagging. I couldn’t get close to your time.

1 Like