First Race Expectations, Beating the Breakaway, Rest Week Diets and More – Ask a Cycling Coach 242

Same here, I’ve used carbs in bottles and real food to great success on long rides. My best century rides required eating something solid no later than mile 65.

Agreed. I’m not a huge fan of CTL, however I do think it does a good job of quantifying the size of your “base” for a hard century or double like DK200. My personal rule of thumb is 80+, and if I was in my 20s or 30s then I’d probably be shooting for 100+ CTL as a 2 week pre-ride target.

Nates time lapse of him eating cereal on Instagram made my day

8 Likes

Just use it as a drinking game - every time they say “like” just take a swig of your bottle (assuming you are riding)

3 Likes

Not to sound defensive, but @Nate_Pearson prefaced this by saying ‘in my experience’, and he followed it up with an explanation why (because solid fuel made him feel out of breath). It doesn’t sound like you are disagreeing it just sounds like you have a different experience.

1 Like

Each day I faithfully check whether Chad is finally in the sauna.

2 Likes

I did look at that cervelo and it looks good.

I wonder how fast the Chamois Hagar will feel. I can get the same position relative to the bottom bracket as I can with my venge, so that should be close.

The only things in my mind that would make it feel faster are stiffness and weight. I doubt I will feel the aero difference (even though it matters) at gravel speeds.

So if I’m in the same position, why do you think this bike will be slower?

1 Like

The gravel at DK just isn’t that technical…you mentioned using the Chamois Hagar at Grinduro and that is a totally different beast, and I think it would be a killer bike for that.

But DK is all (gravel) road riding…the CH is overkill, IMO. As everyone seems to say, it is a MTB w/ drop bars. DK just doesn’t need that tool.

I was on my Crux last year w/ 40mm Ramblers and had no issues. I think a bike like the Aspero (or similar) is a great option for DK.

Just my $.02…no change accepted. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I have to agree. The chamois looks too slack for dk. It’d be like taking a 150mm Enduro bike to a world cup xc race. I could be wrong though, it just looks really slack to the eye. I haven’t looked at the actual numbers. Once you actually start riding it I’m sure you’ll know pretty quickly if it’ll be a good long distance speed bike or not.

1 Like

@Nate_Pearson Well, I don’t know for sure about the Evil. If you have the geometry to closely match your Venge, and make power the way your body is trained, you may be set. Any opinion or reason I can state is only a guess.

Now, that being said, When I think “Evil”, I think so much moto bro science and function. Evil is a MTB company that is dipping their foot into the gravel market because, well, gravel is rad and there is a good profit to be made. That’s awesome, and I bet the bike is fun…in the right situation. As you stated in the podcast, it is a ridged, drop bar MTB. Cool. But a gravel race bike…hardly. I would bet the bike can be comfortable, and I wonder at what cost. I don’t know but I wonder about power transfer through the bike, and the drive train, to the wheels, and how efficient the bike is with the watts provided it by our bodies…especially over long distances. And then there is the issue of racing what I believe is an inferior aerodynamic product. I don’t mean to be a cynic, but more the “devil’s advocate”. I think there are more holes to shoot in the idea of the Evil being a true “gravel race bike”, but what do I know? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Finally, I can tell you my experience. I bought the Aspero, in a 2x with GRX. the whole group is GRX on this stock bike except the crankset. Slapped some fast/light wheels on it. For some reason they speced the bike with an Easton crank set in 47/32. I bought a GRX 48/31 and put a Stages PM on it. With an 11/34 cassette, I am set to tackle any climb, or any flat with options for maximum speed or all the bail out gearing I will need.

So, I made all these changes…Mostly just need creative ways to blow more money on bikes. :joy: Then I put some miles on it! Wow! The bike is a rocket ship, and it is very comfortable. I’ve had lots of road and lots of cx bikes, and a ton of MTB’s and I was shocked how well this bike did both comfort and speed. It’s like a full on road race bike the smashes gravel with a ton of comfort. More than any gravel or cross bike I’ve ever ridden or owned. I will also say that I ride my gravel bikes through all sorts of technical terrain when it shows up on rides and this bike did it well. Stable and fast w/ more comfort than I thought was possible from this caliber of bike…

There is $ .02 more for ya. I’m going to sleep now cause tomorrow is race day :fire: Good luck, dude!

Remember there’s no suspension, so it should be just as efficient as any other gravel bike.

In the MTB world slack usually means more suspension which means more party but slower pedaling.

I don’t think it means that on this bike.

1 Like

To me ‘slack’ means the geometry, the head tube angle mostly. It would mostly affect steering and your position on the bike. You’d have to ride it to see if it works.

3 Likes

The discussion of the lee dinner table :rofl:

4 Likes

I’m talking about just geometry. Sorry, the Enduro bike was a bad example. I think a better example would be like taking a specialized roubaix to a crit instead of an allez. I’d personally recommend a salsa warbird or trek checkpoint

I poked around a bit to see more reviews on the CH…found the video below from VeloNews. IMO, the trails used in this video are a perfect application for the CH…with the key word being “trails”. That just isn’t what you find at DK.

Conversely, I don’t know if I would want to ride a gravel bike on those trails…yeah, you could do it and yeah it might be fun, but it isn’t the best choice of weapons.

I’m very doubtful that a slack headtube angle would have any negative effect on a rider’s DK200 experience/performance.

People do crash in DK, and if anything, a slightly raked front end will be more forgiving over say, a stream crossing, especially when you’re gassed.

2 Likes

One thing I’ve noticed is how the rake (and therefore trail) can be different on gravel bikes. On MTB, we now talk about it all the time but almost never on gravel/CX.

Those numbers will have a major impact on handling as well.

Also, on the larger sizes, the geo often changes (e.g. the crux in 61 vs. 56), so a bike in the “normal” size range might be quite different.

A couple of possible options: Santa Cruz Stigmata, Kona Jake (if you want something quite slack but clearly quite raceable).

Good luck with you MTB race today.

Slack is referring to geometry is it not? Slack vs. Steep. Never heard anyone reference slack RE their suspension. “My 140 travel bike is slack compared to your 100.” Never heard that before.

There was a topic in this podcast on switching the sunday SS ride with a longer one. Can i get an example for that workout? What intensity should it be?

Thx!

1 Like

@ellotheth did a similar thing after listening to the podcast:

2 Likes

Many thanks.

1 Like