Derailed Again!

Three weeks ago I started a TrainerRoad base plan. It was of the sweet-spot variety. I was pretty proud of myself because I actually completed a step test. Although not perfect, I thought that the entire week went fairly well.

Although I started later in the day than usual, I got the next week started off with Ericsson. Unfortunately, that was as good as it was going to get. I haven’t seen a workout since. My bicycle has betrayed me. It’s currently at a local bike shop getting repaired.

It all started when I decided to upgrade the Shimano Di2 drivetrain on my bike. Furthermore, I decided to do the work myself. That was not a totally unreasonable decision, given that I’ve worked on my own bikes for years and even built one from scratch. Besides, all of the information I was finding online made the process look fairly straightforward.

What is it they say about the best laid plans? The exercise turned out to be an unmitigated disaster. After a week, I’ve had to relent and surrender my bike to a professional mechanic. He has promised me my bike in three days. I’m ecstatic, because most of the mechanics I had contacted couldn’t do better than thirty days! By the time I get my bike back, I will have missed almost 2 full weeks of training.

So, my question is, do I restart the plan yet again?

I would - building a good/great base is key, its only two weeks. It will not hurt your progress in any way.

Mike

Seems like a good time to pick up a “backup” bike, n+1 and all :wink:

2 Likes

Ah, yes. Multiple bikes! Those were the days.

Wow! I got my bike back in only twenty-four hours. The mechanic couldn’t tell me exactly what made it work again, but I’m not complaining. I’m back in business!