We’ve seen professional athletes and celebrities alike inserting themselves into suspicious-looking fridges wearing very little clothing while claiming performance, recovery and health benefits. Is there any science behind the hype? Dr. Wilson joins us to discuss if cryotherapy is worth it on this episode of the Science of Getting Faster!
TOPICS COVERED IN THIS EPISODE:
(0:41) What is cryotherapy?
(1:32) What are cryotherapy chambers?
(13:23) Does inflammation play a role in cryotherapy?
(17:59) What are the hormonal response to cold therapy?
(25:38) Can cold therapy improve your sleep?
(27:47) Dr. Wilson’s Study
(34:41) How Dr. Wilson ran the study
(50:40) If cold therapy makes me feel good, should I keep doing it?
(52:26) Is there use for cryotherapy prior to exercise?
(55:15) Best time of day to do cryotherapy
(56:35) Cold showers vs. cold baths
(58:10) Hot vs. cold showers
• Submit a study, researcher or topic to be covered on the Science of Getting Faster Podcast: https://www.TrainerRoad.com/SOGF
ABOUT TRAINERROAD — CYCLING’S MOST EFFECTIVE TRAINING SYSTEM
TrainerRoad makes cyclists faster. Athletes get structured indoor workouts, science-backed training plans, and easy-to-use performance analysis tools to reach their goals
• Introducing Adaptive Training: Adaptive Training: The Right Workout. Every Time. - TrainerRoad
• Build Your Custom Plan: Cycling Planning, Training, & Analytics - TrainerRoad
• Train Together with Group Workouts: Group Workouts - TrainerRoad
• Get Started: Getting Started with TrainerRoad is Easy - TrainerRoad
SCIENCE OF GETTING FASTER PODCAST
The Science of getting Faster Podcast cuts through the noise and talks directly to the scientists doing the latest research into how to become a faster cyclist, stronger athlete, and healthier person.
Join Sarah Laverty of TrainerRoad as she interviews a new researcher every month about their latest studies, what questions they were hoping to answer, what they observed and what they are still hoping to learn.
• Subscribe to the Science of Getting Faster Podcast on iTunes: https://www.TrainerRoad.com/SOGF
• Facebook: TrainerRoad
• Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/trainerroad/
• Twitter: https://twitter.com/TrainerRoad
• Strava Club: Reno, Nevada Club | TrainerRoad on Strava
Subscribe to the Science of Getting Faster Podcast below!