2 weeks before Starting base... what to do?

So here’s my delima… and I’ve read the other posts on this and listened to the podcasts on “off-season” etc.

This off season I took a break and then did SSB 1 but switch to the 45min or 1hr versions of each workout to ease back into training. This week is a recovery week (yay thanksgiving!!!) and then I’ll have 2 weeks until I dive into my Base-Build- Specialty to my first A Race of the season.

So what do I do in these two weeks before Olympic Tri Base?

I’m thinking of doing a block of VO2max work since I’ve done a good amount of SweetSpot recently?

Any other Ideas would be good to hear! Thanks guys!

If you’ve had a solid recovery week and are mentally ready to jump into a plan, I would say start now.

What are the chances that you make it through months of training without anything throwing off your training? An injury, illness, work, etc can derail you and easily cost you a couple days, a week or two weeks. Having that extra time gives you a great amount of contingency to be flexible with your plan when life happens (which it will).

But, if you don’t want to do that, why not do a 2 week focus on your weakest discipline?

4 Likes

My 2 week prep would be doing something very different to your usual routine and focus on fundamentals, such as:

1. Sleep
  2. Sleep
  3. Spend time with family
  4. Spend more time with family
  5. Go for a nice hike
  6. Eat
  7. Eat more
  8. Sleep more.

Doesn’t have to be in that particular order, but I think you get the gist of it.

This may sound silly, but you can get a rough idea by following Pros on Strava and see the random stuff they tend to get up to during the break.

Tim.

:facepunch:

2 Likes

Rest.
Ride for fun.
Do something else for fun.
Begin core strength work. (Nothing crazy. Maybe a short, body weight circuit for 2 or 3 sets.)
Begin flexibility work.

(Points to self on the last two. I need to get on those asap. :scream:)

1 Like