Your Favorite Gel

hot damn. why didnt i think of that? ive been trying to figure out how to not discard trash while on race rides that include gels. on top of that icky fingers as well. mind blown.

I mostly use the wiggle-branded gels, or often wiggle will have high5 gels for a similar price. I like the berry flavours of both, otherwise their lemon or lime ones are fine. I find it tough to justify the prices of other brands when those work fine for me. I get the odd batch of SiS gels when they have a really good deal (I got a box of 24 chocolate ones free with my last order or rego for example), but have found the flavours Iā€™ve tried of theirs have varied from just okay (choc) to almost inedible (orange).

2 Likes

Those gels with the captive ends are genius, it takes me ages to carefully open SIS gels so I donā€™t lose the bit on the end! finding discarded gel wrappers really winds me up.

2 Likes

Hi 5 or SIS for me. Iā€™ve basically got an iron stomachā€¦ Unless I have a power bar gel, and then all hell is let loose down there!!

1 Like

I learned to cook my own. Itā€™s really simple, I can experiment with caffeine, salt content and Fructose / Glucose ratio and it is 15 to 20 times cheaper when you buy bulk Maltodextrin.

2 Likes

Torq. Canā€™t stand the consistency of SIS.

I simply use selfmade gelsā€¦ Maltodextrin mixed with water bit of salt and a drip of some syrup for tasteā€¦ itā€™s pretty much the same as fancy brand gels but maltodextrin goes for like 5ā‚¬/kg ā€¦ and I just use a soft flaskā€¦ so not sticky aluminum packages in the jersey pockets :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Their new pineapple is really good too

1 Like

I usually only have water in my bottles (for hot and/or long rides also some electrolytes). the maltodextrin gel I take either just for rides between 2-4 hours, for anything longer itā€™s in addition to solid food, like bars and stuff.

I think this way it is really easy to keep track of carb intakeā€¦ if there is also some in the bottle it depends on how much you drink, which depends on heat, intensity and so onā€¦ so this I find much easier :smile:

1 Like

SIS Caffeine gel the double espresso flavour.

1 Like

i HATE the taste of the caffeine gelsā€¦ wanna buy 60 berry flavored ones :joy:

Also, to people citing the cost, SiS regularly offers ā€˜short shelf lifeā€™ gels for like half off. I picked up a ton specifically for training fuel. Iā€™m not sure what can go bad, if anything, itā€™s sugar and waterā€¦!

The SiS Apple flavor is good, but the orange is not great. I just tried Maurten 320 for the first time today (got some near expiration on sale via eBay) and it was sweet, but not too sweet. Loved the calorie density.

I use the Clif Vanilla gel occasionally too. I like the little tab that holds the top on after you rip it off (no extra garbage). Itā€™s a pain not to pollute when using the SiS gels during races.

Currently a big fan of spring energy gelsā€¦made w/ real food. Cananaberry, Long Haul (PB Banana) and one other (magenta packet) are good. I like those for longer rides when I get taste fatigue from SIS Tropical gels (which i like a lot). I tried Maurten, thatā€™s good too. Iā€™ve also made UCANN extra thick in a small gel flask. Usually tropical orange flavor UCANN.

Clif Shot in Mocha (caffeine version) and Raz (just energy).

Flavours are good, the consistency is thick (so I can open then and not spill them everywhere while riding hard) and they have a catcher for the bit that rips off the top so that you donā€™t drop rubbish all over the place.

the new Vanilla one is sooooo good as well

Oh really? I loved the double espresso one! :sunglasses:

The cost is nothing especially if you have strava summit you regularly get a 20% discount code

Thanks

Untapped is my favorite. All natural and tastes great!

Science in Sport, easy to take down without water, easy on the gut, and there are always incredible sales!

1 Like

Maurten Gell 100! I have a very clean diet and so I like the simple and few ingredients in it. In addition, it tastes great! It is very expensive though and so I only use it on interval and race day. All other days I use homemade rice cakes. I do wish they made a more concentrated one (> 100 kcal) because during long road races itā€™s very inconvenient to take one every 30m.

1 Like

SiS Salted strawberry!

1 Like