Best value Gel?

What’s the best value gel on the market now? I like the consistency of SiS, but the flavor is probably the worst of any other gel I’ve tried. I’ve used GU, Clif, Stinger, and others. I just placed a small order for some Carb Boom gels. The sweet spot is $/gram, thinner consistency, and something close to 2:1 glucose/fructose, basically I want it all. I’m familiar with what I’d call race day only fuel like Never 2nd and Maurten, but… I ain’t rich. I also see that GU has a liquid energy with glucose and fructose, but I went for Carb Boom first. Interested in what others on the forum use.

And please, I’m not interested in making my own or mixing bottles. Thank you!

I haven’t used gels in a few years, but does Hammer still sell gels in big bottles that you transfer to flasks? If so, I’d guess that’s close to best carb/$ ratio.

1 Like

But, have you tried…

4 Likes

Tutti Frutti isn’t even the worst SIS gel; that would be Tropical.

I think Tutti Frutti tastes great. Tropical is probably my second favorite… :rofl: Not knowing what flavor @ibaldwin tried I was just making a suggestion. I think salted strawberry is gross so maybe try that? LOL

3 Likes

Tutti fruity is definitely the worst gel I have ever tasted. :rofl:

4 Likes

But bulk maltodextrin, mix with fruit juice, create reduction in stove top. Filling a small bottle with that stuff is like loading up a gel flask for dirt cheap!

7 Likes

Gu does 15 serving containers but only in 4 flavors.
Roctane
Blueberry Pomegranate
Sea salt chocolate
Regular
Vanilla
Strawberry Banana (the only non-caffinated one)

1 Like

depends on what kinda of carbs you want. Glucose:Fructose etc. Hammer is the cheapest per carb i think but has very little fructose.

I know you no want to hear it but… I buy Hammer in big bottles and add agave nectar into a flask. I also add caffeine sometimes. I get what i want and it is cheaper than anything off the shelf. By the time i add agave i get more carbs, more fructose and it is for very little extra cost and actually makes the $price per carb cheaper.

2 Likes

You could make your own gels with Geluminati

2 Likes

Does powergel salted peanut mean nothing to you?

3 Likes

Found High5 gels (Wiggle) ok, but I haven’t bought any for a few years so not sure about prices etc.

1 Like

Get the SIS gels in multi-buy boxes when it’s on sale, like now. You can get them 40% or 60% off. Their website always have some in clearance that are nearing expiry. (I have never had a bad one even after their arbitrary use before date)

4 Likes

I’ve switched from gels to mixing my own bottles buying bulk maltodextrin, fructose, sodium citrate and Robinsons fruit juice concentrate. With this you can easily control the amount of carbs and salts you get and vary the concentration on the day as needed. And on top of that its cheap!!!

4 Likes

It actually does mean nothing to me. :rofl:

I’ve never heard of these.

Gross?

I’ve had them go bad. The container puffs up and they get clumpy.

1 Like

For regular usage, taking cost into account, I go with SiS. Never had an issue and I like the consistency and taste of almost the entire range. Weirdly, orange is the flavour I dislike the most.

If I’m feeling particularly flash with the cash, I’ll opt for Torq gels. The consistency is generally thicker and I do find that I need to chase the gel with fluid.

More often than not, I use Jelly Babies (UK). They’re cheap and really do give you a little carb boost.

3 Likes

I’ve had some that randomly go a weird consistency, not necessarily because of their age, but they’ve never given me the sh1ts or anything.

1 Like

Good point. I just spit it out, so can’t comment.

I like tropical a lot.