WKO5 is here and it looks... different

I used TP Premium 2016-2018 and let subscription lapse. This year I’m only paying for TrainerRoad subscription and a licensed copy of WKO4. Pretty happy with that combo as a single sport athlete (not counting strength training), and I’ll say there was a WKO4 learning curve but after a couple weeks I was customizing reports and very very happy. WKO4 has a few annoyances, but what software doesn’t?

1 Like

Curiously, how do you plan out your your target CTL and TSB for an event out 4 weeks out?

Swag it with TR, its good enough IMHO. From experience it doesn’t pay to be a slave to CTL and TSB. I’ve learned what works for me, and I can’t ignore there are times when I can ramp CTL at 2/week and sometimes at 5/week. Ultimately it comes down to when it makes sense to focus on ramping CTL (base), TR is just fine for that.

4 Likes

Glad to see WKO5 (almost) released! :raised_hands: I’ve been wondering when an update would be out.

I gave the MacOS version a try but it’s unusable with my 16 years of data. Even with a decent machine (late 2015 27" iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 512GB SSD) clicking between workouts is laggy and resizing the window or the left and right panes, will peg the CPU and give me the spinning pinwheel cursor.

I thought maybe it was due to background processing of my past files (I think WKO4 initially did this) but after leaving it open for a couple hours, it’s still really sluggish.

Hopefully there’ll be performance improvements in the update(s) to come! :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Same.

1 Like

They started talking about it “privately” at Sea Otter (and probably other) races they sponsored in the spring.

Tim says that it will in his FB postings:

The optimizations are listed on the wko5.com page that Tim linked above, and all I can say is performance is almost unusable at times vs WKO4 on a high-end MacBook Pro.

1 Like

It is sluggish as you need to let it initially compile your data, then will be faster. Open a dashboard, select PAST WORKOUTS in your RHE and leave it sit for like 10 minutes, let it compile all your data. Will be faster as you use it as the first time you open a report, needs to compile that data.

2 Likes

I’ll try again later. From a performance POV do you recommend starting fresh or sharing WKO4 data directory?

High end PC, 16gb ram, i7 9700k and it’s rendering slower and can’t even scrub through the PD metrics history chart.

There has to be a performance bug or something.

1 Like

It is designed to share. Since this was “leaked” your not seeing all the marketing and support stuff so here is a quick run down.

• WKO5 engine is the same as WKO5 with a more broad expression ability so it won’t be slower. We optimized a fair amount of stuff and most users are already reporting much faster BUT it needs to “convert/share” the existing folder. The more you
    use it the faster it will get as first it “converts chart files and compiles workout files” once it does that, much faster. That being said, you have to let it compile things the first time. We thought about forcing a compile and not letting people us it
    during that time but decided to leave open, maybe a mistake.
  • By sharing the directory, much less storage spaced needed, bet your is crazy big.
  • Can still use WKO4 and WKO5, just not at same time, close one to open the other….pretty efficient way of letting you test.

You will see official announcements and support stuff Monday and Tuesday so will have a deeper understanding, thanks for giving it a try!!!

Tim Cusick

TrainingPeaks WKO4

5 Likes

$129 upgrade from WKO4? I have WKO4 but still use WKO3! I told myself I’d learn WKO4 eventually, but I guess I’m off the hook for that. Maybe I should jump on WKO5 and not get left so far behind this time.

A warning for computer savvy would have helped. I launched WKO5, selected past workouts as you said, and will let it have a long think this afternoon before playing with it tonight or tomorrow.

THANK YOU for the help, and sorry someone leaked and changed your plans for the weekend. Really appreciate you taking the time to register here and post :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks for understanding. It is pretty cool, once you get it up to speed going to see a lot of things that you will like. Going to be cool once we officially launch it :slight_smile:

Tim Cusick

TrainingPeaks WKO4

1 Like

8 hours later and performance on workouts has improved. Then I pulled up a custom/named date range from a season two years ago and looked at WKO4 charts. Very high CPU utilization and 3+ minutes later Polarized Training Weekly Report is still showing “Working on it…” Finally after maybe 4 minutes it finished. Here are my date ranges in RHE:
38%20PM

Do I need to pull up each and every season / custom date range to get it to compile/store results? Seems like it.

Definitely a little rough going at first, even 8 hours later. I understand your dilemma on notifying… at least on the season charts/graphs I’m seeing “Working on it…” which is more feedback than when I first pulled up a crit and tried to create a smart segment.

Hope that small bit of feedback helps.

1 Like

Agreed. Slaving to CTL/TSB doesn’t work. I find the TSB CTL planning to be pretty arbitrary unless you do it year after year, and by the time it’s really meaningful, you probably don’t need to do it if you’re self coached.

That said, I still plan competitive tri seasons that way in the preseason, but I don’t worry about the micro changes on ramp rates and such when life happens.

I might employ it more for some of my athletes in the future as I’m about to drink the TrainingPeaks coaching kool aid in a few months. I’ll poke around and decide between that and Today’s Plan as my preferred platform. I have experience with WKO/TP but don’t have either running right now.

It wasn’t leaked. There was a publicly available link that could be found by searching in Google. I put the link in the WKO Facebook group as I thought I’d missed the release. I’m sorry that it got out of the bag early but saying it was leaked implies something underhand. I didn’t leak it Tim. Someone at TP messed up. If it wasn’t meant to be seen… Putting it on the TP blog and having a download link available is pretty sloppy.

The “leak” was the fact that a page was “unhidden” accidently on the TrainingPeaks site, you were not at fault at all, sorry if that implied it.

Tim Cusick

TrainingPeaks WKO4 Product Leader

717.515.5382 / tim@wko4.com

1 Like

Thanks for that, I am genuinely feeling bad about the whole thing. I appreciate you and your team must have worked so hard on this and what would have been the celebration of the culmination of much hard work has been unfortunately prematurely brought forward. Again I am so sorry it has been relesed this way. On the plus side WKO5 is a huge step forward from WK04 (which in itself was awesome). I’m sure it will be a huge success and I thank you and all your team for your dedication and hard work.

No way, it was our “slip-up”…we leaked our own secret! Sorry I worded it that way, was talking about us. It is pretty cool and excited for the official launch!

1 Like