Why won't my ftp increase?

^ This

Volume paves way for all kinds of adaptations, not the least of which is your capacity to train harder (not just more).

I’m also seeing the most gains right around 12-13 hours a week.

1 Like

had a look at your profile, I’ll chuck my 2 cents in

• your 6 week TSS has only started ramping up from historically 250-300 to now roughly 450. In the 2019 you had a period where your FTP hit 266 (roughly 450tss at the time) and started dropping off as your 6 week tss trended lower towards the 250 range.

• I think your workout compliance is generally consistent. However it appears your workout compliance towards the harder 1.5hr workouts (carpathain peak, Richardson, mary austin) is not as consistent, where you require several backpedals and stops.
  • As above I think the issue is probably fueling the workouts esp towards the longer ones.
  • If you struggle with the longer efforts, perhaps a progression of from the easier version of the workouts is needed, in order to prepare you for the harder versions (-1 versions)
5 Likes

Wow, you are like me, only i am shorter 5’6 and i have 7 children. Last 2 yrs have been pretty stress full. Started TR 2.5 yrs ago FTP 185. Quickly went to 235 then 250 - stuck there. Then i had an accident 16 months ago, 4 - 7 months recovery and lost my job last month - so lots of life stress.

I have always though my diet was pretty health but i was under eating protein. In fact most of don’t know how much protein we need to eat. I stumbled on this by purely by accident…

Given busy work and family life, you have limited time to train and its probably not realistic to add more volume.

So go for the low hanging fruit…I would challenge the thought steak is not healthy…I suspect not not eating enough protein to repair and build your body.

This is my experience…

When i was recovering, i discovered 100g of steak only has 25g of protein. Probably common knowledge for everybody…they reality we need to consume at least 1.2g per kilo of body weight - that for people on the couch, just to maintain muscle mass. For me at 71kg its at least 85g - AT LEAST

Just before my accident, i had a dexa scan, my body fat was around 13.2%. I couldn’t ride a bike so i knew i would get fat on the couch. One day I watched the Ronny Coleman documentary on Netflix . I was so curious how he maintained his body in the of-season…protein…lots of protein.

So after that, I decided to double it and aim for at 150g - 200g per day. For me it means consuming at least 500g of red meat daily then adding carbs or fat but controlling for my calorie intake 1800 per day…here is what happen…From Feb 19 - June 19, I didnt ride my bike…July, I finally had the courage to ride again. After my first ride, i had another dexa scan just to check where i was…and surprised i had put on 2kgs of muscle!!!

Did a ramp test around Sept FTP 220 despite not training…I am only now getting back to structure. I am leaner and carrying more muscle -so i think there is a lot of potential…

This is my formula for diet = Carbs for performance. Protein to build the body.

The past few years I train from Dec-July structured and then take the fall off to mtb and race cross. Last year, 2019 I tried not to let my tss drop as much during this time knowing that I would have a better base coming into road season training.

You think I have a lack of nutrition for the longer efforts? I always have a bottle of sis go with me and will take gels during a workout longer than an hour.