And from a few weeks ago:
So this is my favorite time of the year for beer…Xmas / Winter beers are great.
A quick list of those that I have tried this year:
- Great Lakes Christmas Ale (still the champion 4.5 / 5.0)
- Revolution Fistmas (making a strong bid for the title 4.5)
- Goose Island Christmas IPA (4.0)
- Sierra Nevada Celebration Fresh Hop IPA (3.75)
- Samuel Smith Winter Welcome (a perennial favorite)
- Southern Tier 2XMAS (4.0)
- Victory Brewing Merry Monkey (2.0…but not my type of beer, Belgian Strong Golden)
- Begyle Christmas Ale (3.5)
- 3 Floyds Alpha Klaus (3.5)
- Dogfish Head Campfire Amplifier (3.75…not technically a winter beer, but the flavor profile fits, so I included it)
- Great Divide Hibernation Ale (4.0…really enjoyed this one)
The only one I would not recommend is the Merry Monkey, but again, not my type of beer. If you like Belgian beers, you’d probably enjoy it. All the others are definitely worth a shot!!
Before graduating from college I spent my fair share of time on the three biggest of the Great Lakes, so it seems a trip to TotalWine and BevMo is in order!
Thanks it will be easier to find! I’ll cue up The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald and dig out some old pics of swimming in the 58F waters of Lake Superior in early July.
I worked in Cleveland for a couple of years. Got to know Dortmunder Gold, Burning River, and Elliott Ness well!
All good beers…Burning River is a great Pale Ale.
Ettaler Kloster Dunkel
What is an alcohol stress score and how do you calculate it?