Ultra cycling for an A event setup?

hello!
very new and fresh to trainerroad as a platform (previous freeloader of the podcast), now when setting up my a event on the app i see the limit as 29 hours or so. For me my A event this year has a max time of 130hrs (1k km, 15k m climb) in november.
how do i go about setting that up as an A event or any workaround to get the desired or recommended training load?.

thanks for the help

Build it as a stage race… Seeing as there are only 24hrs in a day, it won’t let you exceed that number… I’ll typically enter what I expect for my actual moving time, i.e. 19hrs, for each day, and typically enter it with an intensity level of 5 or 6, as that is what I have managed in the past for multi-day stuff and has matched the forecasted TSS to the actual…

6 Likes

Good idea. Will try that.

But will need to figure out my moving time… I think it would be better to be ambitious with that. Like you mentioned 19hr days.

Thx

Look up threads on Audax or Randonneuring within the forum. Same issues with placing multi-day events on the schedule and with training for the events.

That brings up a question:
For an event duration do you enter elapsed time or moving time. For brevets the difference can be significant.

1 Like

Sort of both. Moving time will be the best indication of your TSS and the ‘effort’ you’re training for, but elapsed time is important when it comes to nutrition. 9 hours riding in a 10 hour period is only 9 hours riding, but you still need to fuel all 10 hours. I’ll often put in the full duration but maybe dial down the intensity to account for all the short stops so my TSS matches what I’ve done in the past at similar durations.

If you’re going to stop long enough to deactivate your sympathetic nervous system and actually begin to recover (like an extended lunch or anything more than a micro-nap) then I might remove that from my timings and start to treat the efforts either side of the break as separate rides. Then you get to start thinking about your nutrition during the break between the two as much more of a recovery meal and additional pre-loading than a simple feed stop.

That’s my experience at least - not sure I have anything concrete to back it up beyond n=1. Basically if I were racing Unbound I’d choose elapsed time. If I were racing OP’s ultra then I would choose elapsed time during my riding shift each day but if I was stopping for a 2hr lunch and a 5hr sleep then I’d treat that time as ‘off the clock’.

Actually that’s a fun way to think about it - imagine you’re a shift worker and exclude any break long enough that you’d have to clock out for it.

1 Like

thanks, good points there, on 2022 y had about (4) 16 hour “shifts”. but that depends on the route (where and when to “stop”) but i can mix some numbers in a blender and get a guesstimate on these “shifts”.
im trying to improve my time by riding longer than faster, but that also includes better performance on the bike.
will try to figure out this “shifts/stages” thing this week to imput properly on the system.
Thanks

1 Like

James Hayden did quite a good blog post on the balance of moving speed, time spent riding, sleep and impact on finish time. He was looking at TCR thus around 4,000km in 8-9 days elapsed.

In terms of what kind of training TR throws at you I can’t imagine it makes much difference does it? Would have thought that once you’re targeting ultra events the TR plan isn’t going to vary much whether it’s 12 hours of riding or 120 hours of riding as it’s all the same energy systems and the TR workout library tops out at about 8 hours I think.

Obviously there would be some event-specific prep you’d want to do for a multi-day brevet, but TR isn’t going to schedule that for you.

1 Like

Mods can correct me if I’m wrong but as I understand it event duration has no influence on Plan Builder’s results.

Thanks guys, i did set it up as a stage race, and seems to have no mayor impact on the builder, so now on the execution phase.
planning to add weight training (buu).

thanks for all the replies!