TrainNow Oversight? [Feature Request]

I’m an engineer and love the idea of using data to suggest a workout for a day that there’s no training plan workout. From what I can see, the algorithm seems to be suggesting workouts based exclusively on past workouts. I’ve received suggestions for very demanding workouts if the most recent workouts were endurance-based. It doesn’t seem like the suggestions look at future workouts. Oftentimes suggesting aggressive workouts the day before a demanding workout is scheduled via my plan. Shouldn’t the algorithm look at what’s scheduled in the next week in addition to recent workouts before suggesting a TrainNow workout?

2 Likes

I thought this too when playing around with it and already having a TR RXed plan. It would be nice feature to have for those of us that would like to be on a low+ or mid+ type plan when we get the extra time for an extra workout.

2 Likes

well, the point of trainnow isn’t to look ahead, really, as it’s intended to use when folks don’t have a training plan going. I see what you mean, especially to fill in lower volume plans, but I guess some discretion is required to pick a workout that won’t interfere with future scheduled stuff

3 Likes

TrainNow is not really meant to “work with plans”.

It is more an alternative to a training plan, not a supplement.

I am looking for the official info and will link when I find it.

• This is not “official”, but I think I have a decent summary based upon what they have said on the podcast and here.
3 Likes

Indeed. I’m on a low volume polarized plan now. I like the low volume as it gives me plenty of room to free ride outdoors on the mountain bike when weather and time allows. The TrainNow is a great feature for coming up with an indoor workout on the days I can’t get out.

1 Like

@mcneese.chad

I found this blog and it actually touches on the fact that TrainNow is meant to supplement low volume plans

1 Like

Copy that, and good to read. Specifically, I will emphasize this aspect from that section:

TrainNow’s recommendations don’t consider periodization or long-term goals, so you should always prioritize your training plan’s scheduled workouts. But if you do feel motivated to add an extra workout here or there, TrainNow’s smart suggestions can help you add volume without overdoing it.

1 Like

I saw that after dropping the link but it is still worth linking. I think once A******* T******* is made live it would possible adjust for the added in volume.

I have used the med/high volume plans in the past but find that I get psychologically locked into the plan and forego opportunities to ride outdoors with friends, etc.
The TrainNow feature seemed like a great opportunity to come up with additional rides when the outdoor rides weren’t possible due to time or weather. I wish that TR would consider this enhancement for folks that intentionally pick the low volume plans to allow more freedom day to day while maintaining a structured plan.

4 Likes
  • Sure, and based on that, this should be in the TrainerRoad Software category, with the Feature_Request tag since you are effectively asking for an enhancement to the app. I will make that change above, and tag @IvyAudrain so she can add it to the list.
1 Like

Can’t you just look at train now and pick the endurance ride if you have a hard day tomorrow? The TR training plans have the intensity, you don’t need more, so just use train now for the endurance ride suggestions.

2 Likes

I think that this request more speaks to improved variation in volumes/within Plan Builder, which is definitely on our radar and something we’re working on! But comprehensively: as Chad also advised, TrainNow isn’t meant to replace a plan or provide insight to long term goals; Plan Builder does that and could be improved upon to meet this need for you! :sunglasses:

3 Likes