Training & HRV Numbers

I’ve started using Welltory to track my HRV for recovery and it’s been pretty low for the last couple of weeks, so I’m not sure if it means I’m not getting enough recovery time.

I am still fairly new to cycling started in August and my ftp is 93. I’m currently on the medium plan and thinking of dropping down to low volume or trying out the polarized training plan, since I also lift weights on my off days which is probably not helping my recovery.

Where I’m confused is with the polarized training plan, how do I plan it out to take into account upcoming events. There is one in Halloween and another I have a century ride in April next year.

Do I put in a base, build, then add a specialty and going backwards from the April event?

Thanks!

use plan builder and put those invents in. Couldnt be simpler. If just starting out and unsure, 100% do the low volume plan and add (easy) rides if you can.

Generally going for lower volume plans then adding rides is better than higher volume plans and skipping things.

Use Plan Builder to set things up. It will ask you about events, just follow the prompts. Plan Builder won’t use the Polarised Plans by default but once your plan is set up you can substitute them in for Base and Build - the 6 week plan is Base BTW. To do this go to your Calendar, click on the text that says “Base” or “Build” on the day that part starts. In the dialog box that appears click the down arrow next to “Sweet Spot Base - Low Volume” or similar at the top and you’ll have the option to choose the Polarised Plans.

1 Like

Thank you! That’s exactly what I was looking for.

Thirded: start with a low-volume plan and don’t get hasty. Building an aerobic engine takes time and your body needs to get used to it.

I don’t think you need to go for a Polarized Plan, use Plan Builder and choose e. g. a century or a rolling road race plan. Add the events you have in mind and just start.

When you do your workouts, make sure you are hydrated and you eat something sugary like gummi bears. Even if you wanted to lose weight, you should not diet while on the bike. Find out how much water you need per hour. And in case of doubt, just have a spare nearby.

Regarding weight training, that’s a tricky question because of scheduling constraints. Ideally, you should try to do double days where you do a bike workout and weight training. But that may not work for you in practice. (I’m a dad and during the week I can only do 1:30 hour workouts max.)

Lastly: don’t hesitate to ask us any questions on the forums. You are not your FTP, most of us will love that you are into the same thing we are, cycling. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I did that a few times, but for some reason I didn’t think it was a good idea to do that. Probably cycling then weight training? Or should it be the other way around?

I found the TR podcast that covers this Here. To sum it up it’s best to do your endurance training before strength training when doing them during the same day.

And if I recall, don’t do them during your harder workouts? In the case of a low volume training plan it’s during Tuesday and Saturday for me.

I‘d do first whichever has a higher priority for you. If that‘s cycling, I think you should start with that.

The idea behind stacking two workouts is that your rest days are really rest days.

Yes, if possible.

1 Like