Time for a comeback... but now as a Dad

Hi guys, looking for some opinions on my dilemma.

Some quick background, Reached a peak of 4w/kg a year and a half ago before a life got in the way and saw a gradual decline. Became a father for the first time in May this year & was starting to get into a bit of a routine with SSB low volume 1 after that. September saw surgery (unrelated) and a 6 odd week recovery with a whole lot of zero activity. Have finally been given the all clear to start riding again and have just started to turn the legs over this week.
Planning to follow SSB low volume 1 starting next week, then move into SSB low volume 2 after that. Our weekly crit runs basically year round here (Sydney, Australia) and I would like to get back to some racing in the new year. Being a new dad, working full time etc means time is limited & sure isn’t what it used to be, so I need to make the most of what i can. I’ve heard Chad’s advice about building a stronger body can only be beneficial, so have also started a general body weight workout 3 times a week, on days that i don’t ride the bike.

My question is in 2 parts. In your opinion, following the SSB low volume plans, will i get enough intensity to progress to anywhere near the previous levels of 4w/kg? Or do i need to look at adding to the plan?
The other question relates to incorporating the racing into the low volume plans. Will i still be getting the benefits from the low volume plans if I replace 1 workout a week with the weekly crit race?

Thanks for the feedback…

First off congrats to you and your wife!

1. IMO yes. Although I’m new to TR I’ve been around cycling a long time. All training plans basically systematically increase stress followed by planned rest. Rinse and repeat just a little more. As long as you can recover from the increasing stress your body will adapt. Like any plan (not supervised) you sort of need to be your own coach and revise it if necessary. For example if it appears you are completing and recovering well from SSB-L you can always level up, or make the workouts longer etc…works the other way too. You may find the added stress/lack of sleep that usually come with a new born you just can’t do what you used to. So ease up and back off a while.

2. He!! yes. I actually think it’s smart to do races and training races. You will sort of do a kitchen sink type workout (work all three systems) + play tactics + socialize = huge mental release. I think you will find this important as you raise your child and work to stay in a healthy relationship.

1 Like

In my recent experience, which includes having our first child in January, low volume is plenty to be fit. Stick with it and you’ll be where you want to be.

As far as the weekly crits, that comes down to how you feel. If you fee beat down after the full week of SSB low volume plus a crit, I’d cut out whichever you care less about—a workout or a crit.

1 Like