Thoughts on intervals.icu data breakdown

I think that update will go live tonight

1 Like

It is live now. You no longer need to have a Strava account to use Intervals.icu.

@Cleanneon98 Strava is still supported, this change is for people who do not want to use Strava and to defend against a future without Strava apps (Strava appear to be moving in that direction, they no longer grant rate limit increases which effectively caps the number of users Strava apps can have).

12 Likes
  • To protect and gain full access to your data. Intervals.icu canā€™t provide API access to data from Strava and is obliged to delete everything if Strava discontinues their API or revokes Intervals.icu API access. If you revoke Intervals.icu authorisation in Strava all your Strava data in Intervals.icu must be deleted.

I just requested to download all my data from Strava. When I revoke Intervalsā€™ authorisation to Strava will I have to manually delete all my prior activities and reupload them trough the manual .fit file uploader or will they be deleted automatically? In my opinion this process is complete and utter bullshit and a total dickmove from Strava. It is my data after all that I shared trough them (Strava) with you (intervals.icu). But Iā€™m also looking forward to start without Strava into 2021.

Thank you David for the great work!

Edit: Alright. Strava didnā€™t give me any fit filesā€¦ just a bunch of gpx, gz and fit.gz files. Intervals doesnā€™t know what to do with them and neither do I.

ā€œfit.gzā€ is an compressed archive, if you are familiar with .zip files its basically the same. You double-click it and it expands to a .fit file. If you are on Windows then an app might need to be installed, in order to decompress the files.

I need to request that data myself from Strava to see what I end up with. Currently Intervals.icu only accepts .fit files but as @bbarrera points out the .gz versions just need to be decompressed. I can probably sort out direct uploading of those as well.

When you disconnect tr from strava is asks if you want to keep or delete the data. Any chance you can do that rather than purge and force re-upload?

You can leave Intervals.icu connected to Strava but just untick the ā€œDownload activitiesā€ box in the Strava area in /settings. If you revoke access, Intervals.icu has to delete the data. From the Strava API terms of service:

if a user revokes the authorization previously granted for your Developer Applications to access to their Strava account, you must ensure that all Personal Data pertaining to that user is deleted from your Developer Applications and related networks, systems and servers.

Note that should Strava revoke Intervals.icu API access then the data also has to be deleted.

2 Likes

Okay, in that case maybe implement a button that says download and upload all workouts. It does not have to actually package up the workouts, just mark them as client uploaded and not strava sourced :slight_smile:

I just read the TOS and it says you must provide users access to their data. It does not say anything preventing ā€˜uploadā€™ after the fact so it should be fine by the letter of their agreement.

Intervals.icu now supports upload of .fit.gz files. Not gpx or other formats yet.

4 Likes

Umā€¦ Stravaā€™s data???

Thatā€™s the userā€™s data!

Quite obnoxious of them. I could see requiring 3rd party apps that access user data via their API to provide the option for users to delete all of their personal data that was imported via their API, but to take the position that the userā€™s data is their data and therefore must be deleted if the user or 3rd party app disconnects (or is disconnected) from Strava is insulting. Itā€™s situations like this when I realize how inadequate data protection laws are in the US.

1 Like

Not at all. Once you revoke access youā€™re saying you donā€™t want the 3rd party site to have access to your Strava data, so itā€™s logical that data is deleted.

All your data is still on Strava, which you can download at any time.

If you want to keep Strava data on Intervals.icu then donā€™t revoke access :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Ditto on the Patreon: David is doing great work and deserves a plug here, now with a link:

https://www.patreon.com/intervalsicu/posts

If you can throw a few bucks a month at it, Iā€™m sure thatā€™ll help with the new cluster setup. Iā€™ll continue to contribute this year. The good news is that it looks like there are 228 patrons now!

9 Likes

I think the best way to do it is described here:

I donā€™t want to defend Strava, but they donā€™t say itā€™s their data. See the quoted API Terms in the post from david above. Maybe itā€™s time for a platform to host such kind of data for the user to share where ever heā€™d like? Itā€™s as good a time as any to think about your health data and where it is stored and shared.

I guess I look at it differently. Itā€™s my data. Not Stravaā€™s.

If I sync with Intervals or any other 3rd party, I am now sharing my data with that 3rd party. If I revoke access, that may be because Iā€™ve changed platforms and no longer want Strava to sync my new data.

For example, letā€™s say Iā€™m an Invervals.icu user who dropped Strava, switched to a Garmin, and wanted to use Garmin Connect going forward. Iā€™d still want all of my historical data in Intervals that was imported via Strava to remain in Intervals. Then lets say David develops an integration with TR and I could go direct, bypassing Garmin Connect. There again, Iā€™d prefer to keep my historical data where Iā€™d already sent it.

All that said, I am a Strava user and think itā€™s a pretty slick product.

If is is like Facebook it becomes their data. It is in the terms and conditions or was at one point. Not sure about Strava, but I would not be surprised whatever you upload you automatically agree it to becoming the property of the host / service, so they can sell it and do with it what they will. Like your data becomes theirs for heat maps etc.

@davidtinker

Paypal, or Patreon? Iā€™m quite happy to pay you, just not using those providers.

Youā€™re product is great BTW.

Thanks :slight_smile: I have now switched to Stripe. Its much cheaper and you donā€™t have to leave Intervals.icu to subscribe or cancel etcā€¦ There is a big button near the top of the /settings page.

7 Likes

Thanks David. Iā€™ll check it out.

Wow, much easier :+1:

should we stop using the patreon then?