Rode 600+ miles last week and gained 7lbs

My TSS was 1548, 32hrs on the bike, 29k vert for 6 days. Big endurance block since I have a bunch of time off work, and certainly ate like crazy throughout the week to fuel the next ride. Took Monday completely off and vegged out on the couch. I’ve been vegan for a couple years, so vegging out is tortilla chips, hummus, cheerios, pasta, big salads & kombucha…not ice cream and bacon. Felt surprisingly good at the end of the last long ride, and acceptable today doing some threshold work…though quads felt pretty tight and were threatening to cramp a bit.

I probably race best around 180…been consistently 184-187 the past few months and was 187 two days ago. Woke up this morning to 194.6 and checked 3 different times to be sure. Same garmin scale.

I don’t care that much, as there’s no races coming up and I’m generally not too weight conscious. More curious if there’s some scientific explanation for what my body is doing.

It’s pretty common, although jury is still out for why it happens.

Leading theory is inflammation and water retention IIRC.

1 Like

if you’re anything like me, you’ll lose it all and then some during your rest week.

1 Like

Yep. Happens to me after 600-1200k rides. Gain about 5-7 lbs, but the follow week I lose it and I’m ravenous all week.

1 Like