Ramp Test Tips & Tricks

I have a similar question on this…I know that if i want an FTP of 300 I need to spend a minute at 400w (400 x .75 = 300w). However, some of the commentary during the test suggests you are doing well if you reach 120% of current FTP - 120% of 300w FTP would be 360w - which if i stopped there it would reduce my FTP to 270 (360 x .75). Is it just a misleading commentary from CC or what does he actually mean?
thanks

I think that’s very old instruction text that should have been but never was removed. It’s probably intended to be motivational. Simple solution…turn off instruction text; head down; pedal.

2 Likes

you didn’t see on the left side the Live FTP calculation?

thank you - no - on the ramp test? Where is that? just load the ramp again now and still can’t see it!

i forgot, it isn’t available yet in the mobile versions, you need TR App on PC or MAC

at the beginning you see something like “live FTP (ETA)”

2 Likes

Aha! thanks - I am indeed running TR on a mobile. What a great feature - will look forward to that being launched on the mobile app!

i dont like looking at the live ftp number until i get to the 19:30 timestamp… after that i find it very motivating. but mobile or desktop, just need to get past 19:30

1 Like

thanks Nick - what happens at 19:30? Is that when you have gone far enough up the ramp to hit a new FTP?

1 Like

Correct.

thats when you break even… think its maybe closer to 19:32ish. For me if it starts getting hard before 15 minutes i know its going to be a bad day

4 Likes

I’ve had a few of those. :frowning:

1 Like

only ever happened to me twice (one week apart)… lost 33 watts. But ive gotten 26 of them back by being meticulous on recovery so its not all doom and gloom

1 Like

Great - thanks - very useful tip! Glad its not just me with finding it hard at 15 mins sometimes!

1 Like

It’s interesting that seeing a high HR sometimes spurs people to quit early. I’m the opposite. My reaction to seeing a silly HR is usually something along the lines of this; giphy

9 Likes

Some things that help me, I cover the in-ride instructions and heart rate. Next time I’m covering the time too. I feel like my mind is my limiter and I have a set point of failure in my head.
Today I almost made it to 20 minutes but I had also manually increased my ftp 5 watts. I ended with the same ftp I had set. In the end,Compared to my last ramp test it’s still a 5 watt increase. So I’ll take it as accurate

1 Like

one simple thing I like is to put some flavor in your bottle. Normally, for short workouts its water, but for ramp tests, a little flavor seems to reduce the RPE.

1 Like

I have a special Spotify list with some selected tracks. I know where I am in the test based on the song that is playing because the songs are always played in the same order.

Secondly, with that I train my brain and body that the time is there again, so I let my body know what is coming when the first song started playing. It’s like putting on a switch.

4 Likes

HI All
I’m absolutely appalling at testing and seem to be getting worse as I get older.
I ‘think’ that my FTP is around 240. I have no problem completing the scheduled sessions in a plan.
Closest I’ve got in a test is 230. since then I’ve had sporadic results (today was 201). I’ve tried dropping the FTP but it just makes the sessions too easy.
Cadence is usually around 90 but sometimes higher… not sure if burning my legs out too early.
Any tips??

1 Like

I peeked at your TR calendar – I think you’re doing waaay too much intensity. Just this year it looks like: build, specialty, specialty, build and yet another build active now. And very hard outdoor rides each week on top. It’s time for some base and easy outdoor rides. With the hours you’re putting in, traditional base might even be a good thing to try. From your strava pic, age will not be a limiter for several decades!

Thanks for the input.

Yeah, I do a lot of intensity partly because I find the base work pretty boring! I’m not much of a fan of easy riding either :joy: - I hate the ‘rest’ weeks in all the plans but know that it’s essential

In my mind I only have limited time on the bike therefore want to make the most of it.

I also worry that if I start doing base again I’ll lose performance. Not really looked into it tbh but open to being convinced. I’ve cycled for a long time and used to do a lot of base but without focus (before kids came along). Since using trainer road my performance has been loads better.

Re the age thing I’m 40 now so it’s starting to take effect!