KOM Training, Increasing Training Volume, Morning Training and More – Ask a Cycling Coach 292

I’ve done both, and am firmly in the loved Flanders/hated Roubaix camp! At the end of PR I feel like I had bleeding of the internal organs, those cobbles are brutal… nice one to have done though. Flanders was just a great weekend, the atmosphere even for the sportive is incredible. Chad would love the Belgian beers too, they don’t really get going until they hit 8%…

Fun fact: there is actually a term for a “negative placebo effect” - a nocebo.

1 Like

Hey all,
I noticed for the first time that you put a (1) chapter mark into the podcast. Please PLEASE continue doing that with proper chapters for the discussed topics. That would be so handy for future reference, and make listening so much easier and better! Thanks for your awesome work with the podcast and TR.
Chris

1 Like

Yep. Same power meter, same wheels and tires, different everything else. Also, the differences weren’t substantially (and oddly) different like they were in Pinkbike’s test. I’ll share more in a later post this week.

4 Likes

Jonathan, my RS-1 is onto its third bike because I just love it so much, despite its proprietary quirks. Since you’re a former devotee as well, can you tell me how the new SID Ultimate compares?

Also, did Pete’s Epic Evo frame find a new home? If not I’d love to buy it! I cracked the rear triangle of my 2018 Epic back in November and my dealer can’t give me a timeline on a replacement.

@Pete Just want to say thank you for the tip on foam rolling your back while hugging a weight plate! This may literally be a game changer for me. Have suffered from back tightness and stiffness for as long as I can remember, particularly between the shoulder blades, thanks to much of my life being spent sitting on a bike, sitting in a rowing boat or sitting in front of a computer. I cannot tell you how many hours (days? weeks? months?) I have spent trying everything I can to keep on top of it. Or for that matter how much time I’ve spent not training and how much money I’ve spent on physio when I’ve failed to keep on it and it’s led to more acute problems. Foam rolling, spiky balls, tennis balls in a sock, back massager on my office chair, countless stretches, I’ve tried all of it. At times it’s seemed I spend as much time stretching/rolling/self-massaging my back as I do actually riding.

When I listened to the podcast last weekend I was on the point of booking a physio session as my back was once again in a state of tightness where I know from past experience it was likely beyond my ability to ease it off on my own and could well escalate. During first lockdown last year when physios weren’t able to operate for a while it got so tight that I ended up with a trapped nerve that led to 3-4 months of numbness and pins and needles in my hand. Instead of calling the physio I grabbed a 20kg weight plate and a foam roller and gave it a go. Got some immediate relief. Have rolled daily since then and a week later my back is about as loose and relaxed as it ever gets for me other than holidays where I’m nowhere near a bike or a computer. Early days but this seems like it might just be the missing piece of the puzzle for me!

1 Like

@Nate_Pearson if you need a volunteer for the over fueling testing I am in! also been following Tim Podlogar’s work and playing with the Maltodextrose and Fructose ratios, in the build for my only IM 70.3 last year I did every work out with 100g per bottle per hour over about 6 weeks. while faster in the race, not as fast as I was expecting (long story…), also looked like I picked up about 1.5kg, which my Garmin scale keeps telling me was about 1kg of pure chub.

1 Like

When foam rolling your (upper I assume) back…is the foam roller parallel or perpendicular to your spine? I assume perpendicular (I.e. across your back) but wanted to check! Great to hear helped your back.

Yup, perpendicular, I.e. Rolling from base of neck down to small of back.

1 Like

Placebo (PBO) effect is very interesting topic!! Clear effects on athletic performance, can alter course of disease and is a major confounder in clinical studies. Over the years there have been numerous studies to try and quantify and better understand the physiological aspects of “placebo”. The emotional or neurobiology effects (power of positive thinking…) are also well established, but of course also not well understood.

If you guys decide to deep dive the topic of placebo, the origin story of how the word “placebo” came to be, and current thinking on conditioning and expectations leading to both positive and negative effects could be an interesting lead in.

A recent review:

An older paper but a more entertaining word origin story:

More technical but still approachable:

And more focused on mechanisms and sport implications:

Complete aside, in modern medical trials, for many conditions a true placebo (sugar pill) is not likely to be used. Rather, placebo is often “standard of care” or another active comparator. Reason being, it would in many cases be unethical to put a patient suffering from disease on true placebo just for sake of study design. Studies may still be called “placebo controlled” as that is common usage.

Less of an aside… In mountain biking, perhaps downhills and fast corners on the road, am sure we’ve all ridden up to an obstacle ready to clear it and at the last moment chickened out. Am interested in the types of “in the moment” or “just for today” triggers folks use to overcome the inertia of self-preservation.

-Mark