🎉 🎉 🎉 Introducing Adaptive Training! 🎉 🎉 🎉

Sorry, you mentioned setting it up, I thought it was fubared and got a little over excited when I saw it wasn’t :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Correct. Any workout that is added by Plan Builder is eligible for adaptation. What I’m referencing in that bolded section is adding one of the blocks to your calendar without using Plan Builder at all and expecting future workouts in that block to be adapted (they won’t be).

As an example: let’s say you add SSB LV 1 to your calendar without Plan Builder (just the stock block) and complete Tray Mountain -2 but you struggle and indicate as such with the survey. The future workouts in SSB LV 1 will not adapt to that struggle because Plan Builder was not used, even though your levels have changed. You’re effectively using TR as we all had prior to AT’s introduction.

However, if you have workouts on your calendar that were added with Plan Builder, those workouts would adapt to that struggle.

2 Likes

Another question/suggestion. Can you track you level progression at all? Thinking something like the graph for tss in the calendar page?? Or some way to track it over time?

There’s been a few requests along these lines but it’s somewhat awkward to do since the levels get reset/adjusted when you do an FTP test or otherwise change your FTP. So if you are doing regular Ramp Tests then you’ll only get four to six weeks of progression.

The second point is that the levels or what they relate to aren’t fixed, they are really a window centred on your current level of fitness and one “snapshot” doesn’t really relate to another. It’s not like your Heart Rate which has a finite and fixed range so you can track and compare something like your resting HR over time.

1 Like

Yeah I understand it’s not that easy but hopefully they are thinking about a way of showing some sort of progression!

Out of interest, anyone have a sprint score > 1? And if so do AT or plan builder add in workouts that increased that score?

Nope… Although I did look at doing one of the sprint workouts like the easier Birling ones, just to move it up :rofl:

There’s absolutely no point though as I don’t have any sprint in my plan so there is nothing for Plan Builder to adapt anyway! I’m not even sure what plans there are which would be relevant - I guess Criterium has some sprint type workouts, but looking at it most of them are listed as Anaerobic rather than Sprint (some of them probably have Sprint as a secondary progression, but I’ve no idea if AT will bump workouts based on secondary progression - I suspect not).

Wonder why no new additions of people this week…seemed to be ramping up number of people but nothing for last week or so. :worried:

I’m not sure if it has an effect, but all the TR leadership are on a work retreat in the Dominican Republic right now, according to Nate’s Instagram.

2 Likes

That also explains the lack of suggested adaptations! Chad has left the basement and is sipping on very strong beers…

13 Likes

Next week I am going to be on vacation, and I plan to do all of my riding outdoors. Unfortunately, I won’t have a power meter for my gravel bike, so the workouts will not be counted as a part of AT. Any suggestions on how to handle next week and not lose AT progress? I was planning on doing a number of the workouts based on RPE - good idea for training but maybe not AT :slight_smile:

I’d say use the annotation feature and choose vacation. That way you can ride unstructured without any worry and jump right back into your plan when you return. That’s at least how I’ve worked around it.

1 Like

For the time being, those workouts will not be credited, but if you’re successfully completing your planned workouts based on RPE during your time away, simply “ignore” the adaptations recommended by the AI. Then, when you’re able to successfully complete your workouts upon your return, your Progression Levels will correct themselves.

In the future, we have plans to allow you to manually select a “Success” for a workout without data, but that’s not yet available in the current Beta offering.

3 Likes

All, our very own @JesseFortson just posted up a fantastic blog article with a useful step-by-step rundown of how to use Adaptive Training, as well as some common FAQs and helpful links. We’ll be linking this into the onboarding for new athletes but I wanted to make sure you’re all aware of the resource. It will be updated as we go and as things change— check it out!

20 Likes

Did they eliminate the “checking for Adaptations” animations on the laptop. No longer seeing it, just curious.

It’s been brought up and answered here:

2 Likes

Hi, sorry but i can’t find this information anywhere,

I am looking at TrainNow and the classification of each Work, “Productive”, “Achievable” and i would like to know the definition of each… does anybody have these or a link

Many thanks

Follow the blog link posted by @SeanHurley a few posts above - there’s a section headed “Difficulty Levels” that should tell you all you need to know.

3 Likes

Great just what I want thanks

Random Q, not sure if this is the best place for it - I stuck in a Plan Builder plan before I got onto AT just so it would work with AT, but my goal event currently isn’t a race, just a sportive (Rapha Prestige in mid August, which I set as Climbing Road Race as it’s going to be very hilly…).

I’ve just bought an MTB and looking at entering some endurance races. There’s a 6 hour towards the end of September which thought I might have a go at as an introduction; I would like to do some longer 12 or 24 hour ones but I can’t find one that fits around other commitments (and I would like a shorter practice event anyway since I haven’t ridden a 12 hour since 2009, when I was 21…)

Ideally I would set the race as my new A event, downgrade the sportive to a B event (I still want to have a good day out and it’ll be a hard route)

What’s the best approach for changing my plan halfway through? Should I just set a new plan backdated to when I started this one, with a new goal event and altered A/B race categories? Or delete and start from a clean slate?

For info, I set this one on May 9th, so I am a little way in. Current target event is 15th August, new one would be 26th September. Currently in a recovery week although it’s a bit superfluous as I was away last week and had a pretty low TSS.

1 Like

In a similar-ish situation recently, I just deleted the old plan (and the old event, in my case) and generated a new plan, backdated appropriately to get it to align. Though, this approach was influenced by my past failures trying to amend much through PB due to the amount of manual plan customisation* I’d have done.

*With AT, this another bonus for me: I’m not bothering to customise my plan after PB first generates it, in the way that I used to:

• that’s partly so that I don’t disassociate the workouts from the plan, and thus preventing them from being considered for adaptations;
  • but largely it’s because I’ve quickly found I’m happy to hand over responsibility to the machine to adjust my plan as required.

That latter point is a big deal for me as I commonly/periodically have interruptions to my plan for a variety of reasons. Instead of me attempting to adjust and micro-manage the plan I now just leave it alone, increasingly confident that the Progression Level system will ensure I’m given an appropriate level of workout once the interruption has passed. Less hassle, less “admin”, less guesswork: very happy so far.

1 Like