I need an additional week in SSB I

I recently started SSB mid volume 1. I have an upcoming team training camp but there is a week in between the end of the SSB mid volume plan and the start of the camp. The training camp is going to be hard with a much greater TSS than the mid volume weekly TSS, and with rides every day. Some days will be shorter coffee rides though.

I understand that the last week of the plan is a bit of a taper week and I think that would be good going into training camp. What do you suggest in order to extend the SSB plan to go all the way to training camp? Would it make sense to do week 5 two weeks in a row, and make week 6 week 7? Or are there other workouts I can do to add a week?

I’m planning on starting SSB mid-volume 2 upon return from training camp. Would you test prior or after training camp? Or both?

SSB is already setup with 5 work weeks to 1 rest week (for the total 6 week program). So adding more work is not really a great idea. The 5/1 is already a bit of a long stretch for work and doing more may well end with too much fatigue.

Depending on where you are in the exact progression, I would copy the week 6 recovery and insert it after 2 or 3 weeks. That will give you the extra week and actually allow you to be more rested for the work weeks.

It is along the lines of what I am documenting here.

Example #1:

1. Sweet Spot Base 1 - Week 1
  2. Sweet Spot Base 1 - Week 2
  3. Sweet Spot Base 1 - Week 6 Recovery
  4. Sweet Spot Base 1 - Week 3
  5. Sweet Spot Base 1 - Week 4
  6. Sweet Spot Base 1 - Week 5
  7. Sweet Spot Base 1 - Week 6 Recovery

Example #2:

1. Sweet Spot Base 1 - Week 1
  2. Sweet Spot Base 1 - Week 2
  3. Sweet Spot Base 1 - Week 3
  4. Sweet Spot Base 1 - Week 6 Recovery
  5. Sweet Spot Base 1 - Week 4
  6. Sweet Spot Base 1 - Week 5
  7. Sweet Spot Base 1 - Week 6 Recovery
8 Likes

This! And plan a recovery week after the camp

2 Likes

How about throwing another FTP test in at week four?

1 Like

Hi, thanks for providing input. I hadn’t thought of the above but it certainly makes sense. Will probably follow your outline in example 2 and put in a 2nd recovery week after week 3.

Thanks again! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, would that make any sense? Rather than doing it at the end of the plan, just prior to training camp?

I think in addition to one at the end, rather than instead of. So basically at the end of each recovery week in example #2

1 Like