High Volume Training

TR HV? Too much intensity for me. But 8+ hours/week on the bike? Yes! Burn more calories, eat more food, and lose weight!

I guess Iā€™m that guy. I can do high volume (not the TR plans high volume) above 10 hours per week and still gain weight. You guys are mostly already thin (enough) so upping your volume sure you get to eat a lot. But when youā€™re obese like I am? No, unfortunately you STILL cannot outride a shitty diet on high volume.

The OP didnā€™t say what his weight was. If heā€™s ā€œcloseā€ to an ideal weight already on a low volume plan upping the volume will probably allow him to eat what he wants.

An obese personā€™s idea of ā€œeat what I wantā€ is not like what you guys do. You eat a lot more of healthier foods, push back from the table, and likely donā€™t eat for emotional reasons or other types of disordered eating. When I let my eating go, it gets bad. For instanace I had a horrible year riding last year and basically quite in August. I started a mid volume-ish TR plan on December 1st, by Christmas I was up to 254.4lbs. So gaining weight while training. Yes, I eat like a garbarge can.

My weight was starting to go down in Jan and Feb even on about 5-6 hours per week training. Now, Iā€™ve been outside for 3 weeks and not really paying attention to what I eat and Iā€™m back up 4lbs. So you still have to eat correctly even when you up the volume.

Particularly if youā€™re obese, which I doubt the OP is but, you might still want to eat in a mindful manner.

1 Like

100% agreedā€¦and I think too many of us get focused on the micro of day-to-day eating rather than stepping back and taking a larger view. You arenā€™t going to gain weight if you have an occasional treat after dinner, and you donā€™t need to add mileage to your ride the next day to ā€œwork it offā€.

This is especially true if you are fueling properly on the bike.

2 Likes

So true. Iā€™ve seen sooooo much benefit of eating as much carb as I can digest on the bike. For the said 4k calories burned I eat close to 2k on the bike. But with that comes the overeating problem. 500cal pre-ride and 1500cal post ride big meal already evens you out. Then itā€™s a game of resisting that tub of ice cream :rofl:

Obvious but hard to do thing here is to eat food / snacks that are low calorie, high nutrition density ofcourse.

1 Like

My view is that if your diet is fairly steady week to week, month to month then either you are in energy balance or you are not. If you are eating more than you are burning then your weight will go up till you reach a new equilibrium weight, since the heavier you are the higher your BMR. If you are eating less than you burn, then youā€™ll lose weight till you reach a new equilibrium weight. If your diet is way to the extreme in terms of too much or too little the equilibrium weight may take some years to arrive, or youā€™ll hit health problems first.

Most diets are too extreme and unsustainable. The weight has not been put on in weeks, it usually happened over years, why try and lose it a rate more than 10 times faster than you gained it?

Opposed to what everyoneā€™s saying hereā€¦ it is not as simple as calories in / calories outā€¦ decent rule of thumb for most people but for intensely exercising athletes there are a whole bunch of metabolic and hormonal changes happening, and things that arenā€™t studied yet happening in your digestive tract that donā€™t correlate w/ calories in and calories out.

Just eat without worrying too much about it with general health guidelines. A lot more fruits and vegetables, less breads; less beer wine and whiskey; more chicken and brown rice, more seafood, and less steak/pork, keep the ice cream to small servings (a kids ice cream cone is how I measure mine) and weight comes down eventually to what it needs to be to match your training. I say ā€œlessā€ not ā€œremoveā€ unless you want to optimize that much.

Itā€™s a hard mental barrier to cross but if your training is high volume, if youā€™re hungry chances are youā€™re low on somethingā€¦ what helps me a lot is writing down WHAT I are not necessarily how much, and when I train. Then I can look back and see timing of carbs before during and after workouts, protein, etc and make some educated guesses on what might be going on if I see a change I do or donā€™t like.

2 Likes

Agree with all of this. Iā€™d add more ā€œnaturalā€ fats for lack of a better word (cheeses, whole milk, dark meat chicken, egg yolks, etc vs hydrogenated oils in packaged snack food or deep-fried foods) but otherwise absolutely.

I think this is false, but not for the obvious reasons - if there is a mismatch, it is my opinion that it is usually due to a mismatched measurement, not a violation of thermodynamic laws. Relatively small discrepancies over time can lead to weight gain/loss - trying to match your calories in based on food labels to calories out based on rudimentary measures is just not consistent enough for the all the reasons you mentioned - gut biome health, day-to-day endocrine changes, etc.

100% agree. Disordered eating can be disastrous. Medical treatment can help.

Not saying itā€™s inaccurate but I donā€™t think itā€™s the whole pictureā€¦ The assumption is that our bodies are 100% efficient at all times and how energy is used in our brains, muscles and organs. It could be 98%, could be 100%.

My main point though I donā€™t think I got across was how our bodies produce energy and synthesize growth, week over week fluctuations in growing muscle mass, skeletal muscle weight when youā€™re strength training, etc. can fluctuate so much Iā€™d argue makes precise measurement not very feasible. Sugar consumption during workouts is processed differently than at rest and before bed, etc.,

For most people, obsessing over every gram of fats or carbs going into our bodies can be added stress (which encourages fat storage ironically if you let it stress you too much) and counterproductive. FWIW I do measure sugar consumption during workouts for 90-110g/hr, but not necessarily towards a daily calorie total.

Eating good food isnā€™t really a secret, so keep it simple :slight_smile: if you must measure, it is probably easiest during and after workouts or maybe approximate protein consumption to hit g/kg targets established by research. Adjust those guidelines as needed.

1 Like