Garmin Edge 1040 Released

Perfect thankyou, Ill be coming from a Wahoo Bolt V2 and due to riding solo a lot quite fancy the pitch of the route power plans etc but not at the cost of standard issues.

1 Like

Iā€™ve had mine a couple months. Just finished using it in a 100 mile rainy and muddy gravel race. It ended with 72% battery life and my race time was like 8 hours. I did have to lock the touchscreen as the rain was occasionally triggering screen touches. But with screen locked you can still swipe through screens.

4 Likes

Used my non solar 1040 for a 1600km trip last summer. Battery is amazing. Navigation awesome. Also used it for a 500km back country bikepacking race. No issues at all. would buy again in a second.

3 Likes

I have a 530, and on the default workout screen (fed by TrainingPeaks/Garmin) looks like this:

and it cannot be customized.

On the 1040 is it possible to include additional fields?

For example Iā€™d like a data page that looks something like this:

The 530 screen is too small to have 2 big fields.

1 Like

I have a 1040 but donā€™t use workouts on it. Iā€™ve just had a look though, and it seems that there are two configurable data fields on the workout screen. So you could have just a little of what you want.

Has anyone of the 1040 owners used it in real winter conditions? The ā€realā€ meaning temperatures -5 to -15 deg C and quite often no daylight. What are your experiences?

As the 1040 has a bigger battery I suppose it should work at least as well as my old 530. How does the touch screen work in subzero temps and with thick, clumsy gloves?

I have now used the 530 for two winters and it has survived it pretty well. The battery does not seem to be affected much by the coldness and I have not noticed any other major issues either. The only annoying thing is that if you have the mtb profile special functionality switched on, the computer thinks you are making big jumps every 200 meters or so. I think the jump sensor is a bit too sensitive while riding in cold weather. :smile:

I donā€™t have a 1040 (using 1030+), but @GPLama has a great video about adding extra fields to the map screen. I wonder if something similar could be done with the workout screen?

Maybe someone with a 1040 could give it a shot :thinking:

1 Like

It has 2 workout fields at the bottom of the workout screen but they are empty and it wont let you change them.

Also - the text of the target power range is so small itā€™s hard to see. Much harder than on the 830.

1 Like

The 1040 works just fine in winter conditions. The screen useablity depends on the gloves, some are better than others.

My old 1030 would use 25-20% of the battery per hour in 15-25Ā°F and go to 40% battery use per hour down around 5Ā°F. My 1040 used a max of 5-7% per hour even at 15Ā°F. Itā€™s way way better than the 1030

2 Likes

Got my hands on a second brand new Edge 1040 SOLAR and it also does NOT charge through solar energy when powered off or in sleep mode! So two different units, tested over multiple days, powered off or placed in sleep mode, zero battery gain.

Temperatures tested: 50-70*F
Battery levels: 60-70%
All day full sun exposure outdoors (not behind a glass or indoors)
Software version: 16.13 (most current as of today)

On the 1040 forums this has been discussed to death. By discussed I mean people saying ā€œme neitherā€ and getting angry about it. Anyone saying it does work, donā€™t believe.

Thanks. Last night I created a data page that looked like this:

but maybe without Duration, havenā€™t used it on a ride yet.

That is good enough for me, looking like an 840 is in my future.

1 Like

Donā€™t even think about it and get it. I have been using mine since last summer and (almost) everything works great. The UI could be a little less complicated but thatā€™s no dealbreaker.

1 Like

It arrived yesterday. :raised_hands:

How often did you have to charge it?

Thatā€™s odd. Mine seems to.let me change them just fine, e.g.:

2023-03-28-15-20-44

2 Likes

I go to 4-5 hour rides and itā€™s only down to low 90s.

Is it supposed to?

The Edge 1040 Solar is marketed with solar charging when powered off or in sleep mode. In the 1040 Ownerā€™s Manual, page 76:

1 Like

I wonder if thatā€™s copied from the 955 Solar and just missed review.