Garmin Edge 1040 Released

This is per design. You can change it in your Garmin to now count 0 Watts when averaging power but in the end, physically speaking, you are recovering while creating 0 watts which if you are looking at the average (Watts/time) then it should include the 0. I know what you want to do… but unfortunately like you said, this is a the main difference between indoor and outdoor training.

" Treat Your 0s Properly

Most Garmin head units have power and cadence data recording options that can be configured on the head unit. Specifically, for both power and cadence, you can choose to include or exclude 0s. We recommend including 0s for power and exclude 0s for cadence. Here’s why. If you include 0s with power, then every time you coast (are not turning the pedals), the power meter will send a 0 (for 0 watts) to the head unit. The 0s while you coast will get averaged into your power data for the ride. The more you coast, the more 0s get sent to your head unit and the lower your average power. This is how it should be. It would be a bit meaninglessness only to average the power from when you were pedaling.

However the opposite is true for cadence. When we look back at a ride and focus on our average cadence figure, we want to know what our average cadence was while we were pedaling. Were you spinning at 80 RPM, 90 RPM, etc? If you average 0s into your cadence data, the number won’t tell you anything." Power Meter Tips and Tricks - Power Meter City.

1 Like

This is an issue with all Garmin head units. It’s the sun that heats it up and causes it to read higher than the actual air temps. You’ll probably find it’s better early or late in the day or under tree cover.

Thank You for the thoughtful reply.

1 Like

My Garmin 530 is on my bike in the garage. Temperature is accurate when I turn on the 530 before an outside ride. Temperature is accurate riding outside on cool winter afternoons when temps are 40-60F. However in the summer, I do see +5F or higher when its hot outside and the sun is overhead.

I’d call Garmin if you are seeing +10F in a dark air conditioned room.

1 Like

I would agree that something is wrong if it’s reading 10 degrees took high in the garage. Mine is accurate if it’s cloudy. Above 50°F it reads too high. At 75° and in the sun it will show 90° on my 1040.

My 1000 was the most accurate Garmin I’ve had for temperature readings. My poor 1030 was only 5° high at 75 compared to the 1040

Basically it does fine if cloudy or in sub freezing temps. But higher temps and sunny skies really throws off the temperature sensor

1 Like

Asking for feedback as I’m not sure whether going for the imminent edge 540 or getting a 530.

Is the multi gnss really that much better over gps and glonass/Galileo?

This would be the key aspect for me really so was curious to get your opinion.

It depends where you ride. Out on the open road with clear sky views, not really. If you’re on an XC trail under trees, yes. If you ride a mix of things… also yes.

7 Likes

Additionally, I’d argue it’s less critical for cycling than running/hiking. Usually in cycling you’re moving faster, so GPS tends to get it right by luck of averaging and moving out of bad spots quicker - such as a tunnel or blocking object.

Further, runners often spend more time running around cities with bike buildings, that cyclists don’t tend to want to deal with for workouts - usually due to streets/traffic. And then up in the mountains, runners/hiking tend to get themselves closer to big cliffs/rocks than cyclists, simply due to where trails end up being built.

But yes, in running/hiking especially, the differences and improvements made over the last year are pretty astounding. I did a test last April showing multi-band vs not in NYC - the results are impressive: Garmin Fenix 7 vs COROS Vertix 2: New York City GPS Accuracy Test! | DC Rainmaker

5 Likes

It’s actually the fact that the temperature sensor is sitting in the middle of the warm electronics. Turn the unit on cold and immediately watch the temperature as it worms up.

1 Like

Has anyone had success setting up workout screens on the Garmin 1040? I can’t find the “target” field that was there on the 830. I have added the primary target field but that isn’t giving me the range that I need to be in. When the lap pops up it tells me, but that disappears. I have attached a picture of what I have set up right now.

Try putting the second field on a larger field.

There’s a Connect IQ field for workout target that will show the target, the stock Garmin target field that was in the 30 series doesn’t exist on the 1040

Can you tell us the name of the field?

Is it target power or target power range field? search on iq is not working.

I don’t think it’s right that Garmin make out the solar model charges if you leave it off in the sun. Because it doesn’t, at all. I thought that would be quite cool so opted for the solar.

Also - the fonts on some screens are way too small, like the workout target wattages for instance, I found the 830 easier to follow at times. Plus the fields at the bottom of the workout screen do not respond to and sit there blank.

They keep sending through updates but seem too ignorant to fix the glaringly obvious flaws.

Yes as said - large field, but if you can read what it says lucky you … So much screen size wasted.

1 Like

I do like it though.

Tips for Using the Edge 1040 Solar Device

Solar charging is designed to optimize and extend the battery life of the device. Solar charging occurs even when the device is in sleep mode or turned off.
https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/GUID-0083D0A0-EA6E-41F0-8207-3F1498875E61/EN-US/GUID-533C1430-2080-4CEF-8437-4D7CC827224D.html

1 Like

I can confirm it does charge while off. I 3D printed a little stand for my window to Solar charge it between rides and it works perfectly.

2 Likes

This is the name of it

That sounds pretty good, gonna sound silly but after installing via IQ do you have to do anything else before it can be selected?

I’ve got it but tapping on the Connect IQ menu in the profile doesn’t open it up.