Garmin Edge 1040 Released

On my MTB, the stem spacers interfere with Garmin mount so it goes on the handlebar which isn’t perfect but usable.

1 Like

You could just get the Edge Explore 2 power bundle. You can then plug in a power pack without wrecking the usb port and look forward to battery life beyond 160 hours. Quite a bit cheaper if you don’t have need of structured workouts on your Edge.

Does TR work on the Explorer? I do like getting my z2 in the sun.

Read my last sentence

P.S. Its name is not Explorer!

oops! Spelling mistakes happen!

I did read the last sentence which I took to mean the Garmin training tools as opposed to the TR pushing workouts to the head unit. But I think in which case I’ll go for the solar for some sweet sweet TR gains in the sun! Thanks!

It is a highlight but if you leave the backlight blasting it will chow down on the battery.

The glossy screen can be a bit much but it bothers me not at all, and when I first got it, I was sure it would.

For a screen that is reliant on backlight, it feels like a bit of a letdown no?

Same for the Karoo. Without backlight it’s barely visible with the reflectiveness. I had to run it at 100% on the 1040 and was surprised on how the battery drained faster than on my ROAM.

It really depends on the lighting conditions you’re in - I don’t imagine many users have the backlight on 100%, 100% of the time

2 Likes

i certanly don’t, and if it was a issue for me because of

I think I would get a cheap anti reflective screen cover

Auto brightness doesn’t seem to impact battery life much or at all. Sun at the wrong angle or polarized lenses on the other hand…

1 Like

Had mine a few days after release. Never really had to many issues worth complaining about. Used it for a 1700 km ride across part of Canada and no issues. Also used it for a 500 km back country bike packing race and went off without a flaw.

I turn my backlight off during the day. Only use it at night.

1 Like

I don’t know if mine has backlight on or off, but I can always read well, and the battery life is days. I don’t ride for long at night, but haven’t noticed any sort of heavy drain.

Trying to figure out this ClimbPro on my new 1040. Can someone tell me what 10.35mi means on the top right? Is it the distance to the next climb or another point? TY

Distance to the next climb it has flagged.

1 Like

Thanks that’s what I thought but I wasn’t sure.

I’m loving it so far. Its training functionalities are pretty spot on.

I have found the screen on my 1040 solar easily readable without the backlight on except when riding in low light situations. I wear Oakley Jade Prism lenses.

with everything everyone knows about the 1040 vs 1030, would it be worth waiting for the 840? or just get an 830 now? I am desperate to throw this 820 in the trash that I purchased with no research.

if I knew the 840 was coming in the next 3-4 months yes.

All and all very pleased with the 1040 Solar. Have had it for many months now and as pointed out the battery life is ridiculous. With that said here’s a couple of things that I’d like to see resolved/improved. Not all are Garmin’s fault though.

1. Temperature Display is wildly inaccurate. At first I thought it was due to the solar but the unit reads at least 10 degreesF more even in a dark air conditioned room. Bad unit?

2. For a few weeks now, loading a route from ride with GPS, adds “make a U-Turn” in the strangest places.I need to go to browse map to confirm it’s not the case and no U-turn needed.

3. TR and Garmin needs to get together and resolve the pause workout issue. When doing an outside TR workout say, an endurance 8 min block and you need to stop for a light you can pause the workout but it only pauses the time. The average watts still takes the pause into account so when staring up you get “the power is too low” reading. Of course if you start back up and stay within the selected workout power it will look like a failed interval/block. Now you can hammer it back up but that defeats the idea of an endurance block going well out of the prescribed power request? Yes I know that’s why indoor training is more effective but how hard is it to just pause to whole thing and start back up where you left off? Pausing an indoor workout does EXACTLY that.