Cycling Memes and Jokes

Works as a meme, but lacks any cycling aspect unless I’m missing something. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Cycling Fred?

Sure, “Fred” is used in a cycling term. But it seems like leap with a Fred Durst reference and play on words to a Disney movie… neither of which are bike related. A stretch at best, IMO.

3 Likes

Oh, bummer. I sort of disregarded the Durst part and just took it as self-deprecating poke at my own abilities/exaggerations thereof.

I shall recommence work on my meme game! :joy:

2 Likes

i dont even know who fred durst is

3 Likes

You are a lucky man :stuck_out_tongue:

I could share countless vids, but will spare you and others from what we enjoyed (or suffered) when he ruled the world :wink:

Edit to add a solitary pic, to show the connection to the meme above:

6 Likes

Haha some of the best years of my life were spent “suffering” listening to that punisher :metal:

4 Likes

:roll_eyes: #straya.

(‘straya’ being affectionate mocking slang for Australia…just to help out our non-Australian friends.)

1 Like

NZer here, so not unfamiliar with mocking Australians :joy:

5 Likes

Ha. Nicely done. :+1:

1 Like

Replace the MLB logo on the backward ball cap with a UCI logo then you’re good to go.

3 Likes

I thought about that, and even adding “vents” to the hat to make it look more like a helmet… to get it more “bike” associated :stuck_out_tongue:

I didn’t pick up on the Durst angle, I think it totally works for Freds.

What’s a Fred? Is it an American thing?

3 Likes

“Only does triathlons ironically” :joy:

7 Likes

my LBS told me 15 containers from specialized was on the ship

2 Likes

Recently, particularly in the US, a Fred is more often somebody with higher quality and more expensive gear than his or her talent would warrant. For example, a Fred could be guy with little cycling experience who watches the highlights of a few Tour de France stages, then goes to a bike store and buys a Trek carbon fiber Madone in Team Discovery colors, along with Team Discovery shorts and jersey, and then rides it on a cycling path at 15 mph (25 km/h). Some use “Fred” in a somewhat similar matter, but more synonymous with a roadie poseur. Such a person is more aware of roadie culture, and wants to be seen as a roadie despite lacking in the requisite ability and style (whereas the other type of Fred may have purchased some high-end gear, but is oblivious to road cyclist ways). An interesting corollary for the poseur type of Fred is that if someone is worried about being a Fred, he probably is one of these Freds. In addition, it is this type of Fred who is most likely to use “Fred” as a derisive term for others. (emphasis mine)

wow i didnt come here to be personally attacked

15 Likes

How do we feel about the 2006 aluminum Trek 1500 in Discovery colors?

It does seem to match my talent…

3 Likes

saw someone yesterday riding Bora team jersey with rainbow bands a la Sagan from years past, struggling up a 3% incline in the granny gear… had to shake my head before i passed him, he was a Fred, though i didnt know it at the time… having only just caught up on this page

1 Like