Overtraining, Cyclist Rider Types, Plateauing, and More – Ask a Cycling Coach 350

Amber, Ivy, and Nate join Coach Jonathan for discussions on rider type discovery and development, as well as riding the line between functional and non-functional overreaching. Listen now for these discussions and much more!

Tune in Thursday at 8:00am Pacific!

Youtube Live Video:

Overtraining, Cyclist Rider Types, Plateauing, and More – Ask a Cycling Coach 350

Topics Covered in This Episode

• 0:00 Welcome!
  • 0:09 Intro
  • 01:47 No more testing! AI FTP Detection is available now
  • 42:03 Functional vs. non-functional overreaching
  • 01:07:22 Discovering and developing rider type
  • 01:14:14 How to manage expectations for yourself in cycling
  • 01:25:05 How fitness plateaus happen and how to avoid them
  • 01:41:30 Finding the ideal womens and mens saddles
  • 01:53:40 Tips for flying with your bike

RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE

TrainerRoad Podcast Network

Submit your Question to the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast

Subscribe to the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast

Subscribe to the Successful Athletes Podcast

Submit your story to the Successful Athletes Podcast

Subscribe to the Science of Getting Faster Podcast

Submit a topic to the Science of Getting Faster Podcast

8 Likes

A podcast with Ivy is a good podcast +1

20 Likes

Really good podcast. I learn something new every time

6 Likes

SHUCKS. :smiling_face:

14 Likes

LOVE the idea of the group video AI FTP Detection right into a group ride / BS session. Load up good old Baxter and just hash it out. Gains / Losses / and any other random talk like total rapid fire questions, even if Beers with Chad is not possible. :smiley:

4 Likes

I fixed this for you and deleted the unnecessary fatalistic messaging.

9 Likes

:rofl:

Touche

2 Likes

somebody in the background of this episode?

28 Likes

Haven’t had a chance to watch yet but I was cooking tea for my son (the podcast is on at 4pm U.K. time) and he was watching some YouTube on the iPad when he came in to the kitchen and said ‘Dad your TrainerRoad thing is on’ switched it on to the live YouTube feed, gave me the iPad and walked of! :rofl:

11 Likes

Came here to post this. Hard to listen to at times with somebody typing very loudly! Great episode otherwise :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Sorry for that. I was sending them DMs during the podcast and they were answering me in real time. Super cool.

3 Likes

@Jonathan you just wait until you get your Tri Suit and realise how thin that chamois is they ride 180km in :rofl:.

I’ve always suffered saddle sores and when I raced IM it was 2XU (can’t remember the model but higher up) suit and Adamo saddle that made it manageable for me. Xterra you’ll be sweet. You’ll be going too fast on the bike to feel anything through your arse.

2 Likes

The sound of the keyboard typing was super annoying. The podcast content itself was great!

9 Likes

Agreed! You should make sure everyone on the podcast is using some sort of noise suppression software that would get rid of those annoying keyboard sounds. Nvidia Broadcast is great if you have a graphics card that can utilise it.

Also – maybe it’s just the program manager in my blood – multi-tasking (aka looking down at your phone) during a video Podcast is a huge turn-off. I want everyone paying attention, or at least pretending to! :grin: Jonathan leads the podcast and still has his eyes up the most – and I know he’s likely needing to keep things on track by glancing down at his execution notes! Chad’s equally engaged, bravo!

3 Likes

So, burner forum accounts…

1 Like

Another great podcast, thank you all for your collective insight.

Polite request - someone was typing throughout whilst not on mute - can that stop please? It sounds like a pack of dogs are chasing me!

Thank you!

2 Likes

Fantastic podcast this week. Thank you all. I feel like this is the perfect format for me with some banter, some tech talk, some personal experience, some training talk, positive encouragement, and listener questions. The enthusiasm and pride in the work, talking about how TR’s functionality differs from the competition, previews of what’s coming. Loved it all. Never once got bored or thought about turning it off. Kudos to everyone. “Five stars for sure!”

6 Likes

Agree. Great energy and balance of banter, excitement, and science.

Only thing missing is the next event entry and Amber and Nate talking s#!t to each other :rofl:.

3 Likes

Oh, also I loved when @IvyAudrain said something like, “wait, so you guys categorize yourselves in some specific box? Is that what road cyclists do?” :rofl::rofl:

5 Likes