Current weekly TSS higher than TR plans TSS

I am currently doing my own training plan for an event in 4 weeks time but once this is completed I am looking into joining TR for a training plan for my next event in August. I have done the plan builder but notice that the weekly TSS with the TR workouts is significantly less that my current weekly TSS. I’m worried that ill put in 6 months worth of training and they’ll be no change as the TSS is too low. Is this even possible?

Will you be adding in endurance rides outside?

2 Likes

only once a fortnight - approx 4 hr zone 2 ride

although these will replace the scheduled workout, they wont be in addition to

It really depends on what you did so far? Most people experience the TR plans as quite tough after a few weeks.

1 Like

Welcome to the forums

TSS isn’t as useful a number as people used to think

Last season TSS look like outdoor, was it measured using power, and the same power meter?

How much time do you realistically have to train?

2 Likes

I’m currently doing a mix of outdoor workouts (zone2) and indoor Zwift workouts. Between 8-10hrs per week. Have power meter on bike.

1 Like

As long as the plan is set up with 8-10 hrs I think you’ll be surprised how effective it is at scaling to what you can handle.

It’s quite a long training plan so the first weeks won’t be demanding, but it will scale up.

What are you training towards?

3 Likes

Currently training towards 3 dams in Perth in 4 weeks and then will be training for a 100km gravel (hard gravel) rolling hills ride in August and the tour of Margaret river in November. I suck at hills so have chosen rolling hills over endurance for speciality. Thought I could just throw in some long zone 2 rides every couple of weeks

3 Likes

Also last few months have been spent doing majority zone 2 rides to build base, wondering if I could skip SSB given I’ve done so much already

SSB1 you’d probably skip without any issues. SSB2 builds up the intensity workouts nicely if you’ve done mainly endurance work until now.

1 Like

Thanks. I’m sure I selected SSB II so will start there

Thank you everyone for your responses :blush:

1 Like

All of the TR rides should be 100% targeted though so tends to pack quite a lot of “bang for the buck” (amount of benefit to TSS). As above, TSS is just a number: there’s different ways of accumulating the same amount of TSS, and some will give a lot more benefit than others…

I usually do an LV TR plan and top up with Z2 / outside rides on top of that for 8-10hr a week of riding. That means I effectively have 3 “key” workouts per week (usually VO2, Threshold etc) and once I know I have hit those then anything else is a bonus.

1 Like

Good idea doing the LV plan and adding in the outdoor zone 2 rides. I might look into that also, I haven’t used TR before so still working out the best options for me so appreciate any suggestions :blush:

I find doing that much easier than the alternative which is doing MV/HV and having to skip/swap rides out with outdoor rides, psychologically it works better for me knowing that I can tick off those 3 rides.

2 Likes