Combining gym and bike training without overtraining

@OreoCookie you are really challenging my view and I’d like to say I greatly appreciate the time you’re taking to spell this out for me.

I’ll continue trimming this down. I spent 6 months doing 2 days workout + low volume plan + random fun rides last year and didn’t notice any detriment to my energy, so I confess I won’t be willing to drop below 2 days of gym work. I’ll drop the squats/day 3 of gym… no promises I won’t throw it back in once winter hits and it’s too cold/uncomfortable to ride outside. That said, ski touring season will start shortly thereafter so maybe I’ll need to completely reconfigure my approach when we get snow.

I’d also like to reiterate that my gym workouts aren’t terribly intense. They’re designed specifically for cyclists (plus one compound movement I added for fun). I schedule 60 minutes because I take a hefty chunk of rest between sets. RPE in the gym hovers around 5-6. You might shake your head and say that is intense… My background is powerlifting and crossfit before that, so in comparative terms I’d consider what I’m doing right now to be fairly lowkey.

Re-Readjusted plan
Mon: 60 min indoor bike (v02 max)+ 60min gym

Tues: 90+ min outdoor ride (endurance)

Wed: 60 min indoor bike (threshold) + 60min gym

Thurs: Off

Friday: 90 min indoor bike (endurance) switched from SS per your suggestion & cutting out day 3 of gym

Sat: 90+ min Hill repeats (tempo)

Sun: Off

Hill repeats moved to Sat to bunch workout groups in 3-day & 2-day increments.

That’s 2 days of intensity, 2 days of endurance, and 1 day of tempo… which doesn’t really feel like intensity to me but no accounting for naivety :wink: - It’s also an outdoor ride with friends that I’ll catch 5 out of 8 over the coming weeks until my A event. I can skip or reduce time/effort on those as needed.

After every 4 weeks of gym work I’m also planning to throw in 1 deload week. I don’t know how complicated it would be to adjust the trainerroad progam to match deload week on bike with my deload week in the gym, or whether that would be of any substantial benefit. Seems just as good to have deload weeks land on different periods of respective training blocks. Sort of an ebb and flow?

Ha. If you must know, I’d categorize myself as Ambitious/Impatient/Naive/Hardheaded/Depressed/Going through a bad breakup/Want something to distract and punish myself with until my partner moves out of my house.
I don’t drink, so I use exercise to manage my pain and stress.

No excuse for making longterm goals suffer though, which is why I’m grateful for your input. I envision of future of being smart and patient through my cycling journey, the long view as you say. Definitely willing to concede that I should back off my original plan, but doing low volume + 1 day a week really isn’t going to be enough right now. Not for a couple months. On the other side of my A race I expect I’ll be in a much better headspace to critically evaluate what is possible on the long view sustainable level.

1 Like