Colonoscopy....lay low for a few days?

Was a little flat in the beginning but once the blood got flowing I felt fine…
For some weird reason my saddle was a little more comfortable today. :-/

3 Likes

The one big issue is bowel prep. You lost a lot of electrolytes and fluids, specifically sodium and potassium, in preparing for this procedure. I would recommend making sure you are back to baseline in terms of nutrition and hydration. Other than that go for it!!

Dave Barry, the newsoaper journalist from Miami, Florida, wrote a very comprehensive article about colonoscopies that I would l ike to share with you all:

The only thing I would add is after drinking the Moviprep (or similar) is to not wander any farther than 33 feet from the toilet! 34 feet is too far, believe me! And most importantly, when you’re old enough, get one.

10 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That is hilarious.

as someone who went through this last year, I’m wiping the tears from my eyes :rofl:

and he’s right, a colonoscopy really isn’t so bad. As I recall I didn’t do much for a couple of days afterwards until I felt like my strength had returned

Just ate as big a breakfast as I could, before the 24 hrs of no food. First train is scheduled to enter the station this afternoon.

The 2 days of no-residue diet made me realize how much fruit, vegetables and fibers I normally eat…

That Dave Barry column is awesome, thanks for sharing! Vodka in the MoviPrep sounds like an interesting idea…

Thanks for sharing your experiences, all. I’m mentally preparing for my…ahem…forced couple of days off that will be happening in 2 weeks. Oh the joys of turning 50.

1 Like

I needed this! Going through my prep night right now for my second one tomorrow am. Had polyps on my first so I’m every 5 years now. I was crying I was laughing so hard (while on the toilet of course).

Oh and I did weigh myself this morning to see how much weight I’ll lose by tomorrow am :blush:

1 Like

And most importantly whatever your age get one.

In my late 30s I suffered from bloating and the occasional upset stomach, it was maybe a sign of what was to come. At 42 I had a dramatic loss of form after a one of blood loss (piles? )which I and others thought was overtraining. Things never got better though so I saw the doc who did a simple blood test, which diagnosed a catastrophic iron deficiency. The doc commissioned a whole lot of tests. After a blood transfusion, a change of diet (back to meat) and a negative series of tests I started to relax. Wham and then the real major near daily symptom of my condition started. Fortunately, for me there was one more test I didn’t know about, a colonoscopy and it found it (bowel/colon cancer) not long after my 43rd birthday and within a week it was whipped out. Thankfully three years later I am fitter than I ever was, TT’ing wise at least (I’ve probably lost with age that instantaneous power). I’ve read a lot about people a lot younger than me who have not been so lucky. So if you get called or instigate a colonoscopy (thankfully my doc did), whatever your age, get one!

Coincidently, I don’t think Movieprep had the dramatic effect on me that it was supposed to have :joy:

2 Likes

The timing of this thread is perfect for me. Just had my annual physical with my GP this week and got the referral for colonoscopy. On my to-do list to make the call today to schedule my appointment for my next recovery week.

1 Like

Ha…its an easy way to drop a few pounds…I think I lost 6 lbs day off and gained 3 back.

Anyone work out the morning before, so the day you’re on a clear liquid diet? I’ve got an endurance ride during off season. Maybe skip it?

I didn’t do anything before either of mine. I was pretty wiped out from the prep :tired_face:

I rode the morning before I started the prep…but not the day of the procedure

I am a pro at colonoscopies, somewhere around 15plus in total. It will depend on your prep if you can do it. Timed correctly you should be fine. Practically missing a day isn’t a big deal

1 Like

I walked circa 2miles to mine and probably couldn’t have done much more but mine found something that was blocking iron getting into my body the vast majority of them are routine. I just wish they had been routine in the over 40s not just over 50s!

Nah…no adjustments. If you were fully put under the brian fog is what you have to manage.

had my first 2 years ago (3 years “late” at 53); another in 2 years (because of 1 stupid polyp). like a lot of people say, the procedure is a breeze, it’s the prep that’s s**t. anybody find an alternative to the Liquid Plumber approach? I’m ~120lbs soaking wet. I don’t think I need the same 2 liters of prep as somebody twice my size. I had horrible stomach cramps for another 24 hours past the procedure. I would rather fast 3 days than go through that again. Suggestions?

I did not adjust anything other than chilling on the day of. Went in in the morning then took the rest of the day off. That was it.