Aggressive Racing, Sprint Power, Over-Unders and More – Ask a Cycling Coach 297

Amber and Ivy are back, joining Nate and I for a discussion on where should you draw the line with aggressive racing, why your sprint power may be lower than you want and how to improve it, why over-unders are so hard and what you can do to improve with them, our thoughts on crucial matters like what workouts we’d force upon our worst enemies, #supertuckgate and much more in Episode 297 of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast.

Tune in live on YouTube, Thursday at 8:00am Pacific, or catch the archive on your favorite podcast app!

Listen to the Science of Getting Faster Podcast now!: ‎Science of Getting Faster Podcast - Presented by TrainerRoad on Apple Podcasts

YouTube Video:

Topics Covered in This Episode

• Intro 00:11
  • Get a sneak peek of the Science of Getting Faster Podcast! 00:44
  • Work for TrainerRoad! 7:48
  • Fueling advice for improving body composition 14:52
  • Is racing getting too aggressive? 26:07
  • How to deal with overly competitive friends 58:45
  • Is the supertuck ban a good thing? 1:21:15
  • What is the “one bike to rule them all”? 1:29:44
  • Can you race a gravel bike in a criterium? 1:32:44
  • The hosts’ favorite girl scout cookies 1:38:00
  • Are there good beet supplements? 1:39:06
  • What workout would you only wish upon your worst enemy? 1:41:37
  • Why over-unders are so hard and how to get better at them 1:44:12
  • Why your sprint power is low and how to fix that 1:53:56

TrainerRoad Podcast Network

Submit your Question to the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast

Subscribe to the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast

Subscribe to the Successful Athletes Podcast

Submit your story to the Successful Athletes Podcast

5 Likes

Can you touch on training to sprint at the end of a very long day ie Lotoja?

“That’s just like your opinion, man.” (Big Lebowski) Good one, @Jonathan @IvyAudrain Ivy was the only one who smiled at that comment (as did I.) Very funny!

6 Likes

“Calmer than you are” :sunglasses: :v:

4 Likes

Replay is live about aggressive racing! (bumping/contact). Here’s the timestamp: ‘26:07’ :+1:

3 Likes

Thanks for the sprint coverage! Like Nate my standing sprint is only about 100W higher than seated sprint and both are north of 1000W so its literally the only above average aspect of my cycling performance :joy: Of course I’m doing regular sprint training, and have cycled thru different technique drills. What appears to be slowly moving the needle for me is what @IvyAudrain described - rising out of the saddle into an aggressive forward position. And somewhat counterintuitively I’m working on improving that by doing standing intervals during zone2/3 rides except here the goal is to stand without a change in power. Right now 90% of the time when I stand my power jumps from zone2 to >FTP. My (current) hope :crossed_fingers: is that improving coordination on the easy stuff will improve overall neuromuscular response when it is go time. There are so many things that have to quickly come together in that short span of time!!!

3 Likes

Here is the clip referenced in the question about aggressive racing.

2 Likes

I’ve got a Kickr mounted on InsideRide and only doing the standing sprints outside.

@iamholland, I may be able to help with the rocker use. Depends on which one you have and if there are adjustments possible for the leveling spring force.

I’m happy to see if I can give you some info or things to try. Feel free to private message or we can move to a separate thread.

2 Likes

This has been on my mind for a while now, and this episode was finally enough of a push for this post:

You all are taking an increasingly long time to get to the meat of show. You took nearly 15 minutes to get to the first question this episode. Figure out a way to streamline your business needs a bit.

We all know you are hiring. We all know you have beta apps in the works. I’m of the opinion that we don’t need to hear about it for 15 minutes.

4 Likes

Very useful summary on giving/receiving feedback by @Nate_Pearson

5 Likes

Where?

I believe it is in this section.

• How to deal with overly competitive friends 58:45
2 Likes

I don’t think there was any intended connection.

• Just a reply to the thread in general, that happened to follow your post.
  • But I am guessing since there not apparent connection (via quotes or direct comment references).
  • Adjacent comments are not necessarily connected.

My reply was simply looking at your comment, thinking you were looking for the podcast content applauded by @turmukhambetov:

• I added a link what I thought was the relevant post immediately above yours
  • Again, could be confusion from location without much clarification.

Fair. I’m not seeing any connections in this thread even though I replied to yours and turmukhambetov’s comment. Normally there’s that extra “widget” showing the replies to a comment. Not seeing them here.

1 Like

So, the forum will not add the link to a comment, if you are replying via the main thread reply options at the side or bottom of the thread (pic from web access):

If you click the reply under a specific comment, I think it makes the connection, but it might skip that for adjacent comments. Not sure on that exactly, but I know it adds it if there is separate between the referenced (replied to) comment.

As mentioned, quoting can be helpful to avoid potential confusion.

1 Like

you mean this:

[Reply test], to the post right above, by pressing the [Reply] button on the post right above.

EDIT: I deliberately did not quote anything, and it seem to assume a direction connection.

1 Like

yes, the UI designer of the 3rd party forum software (Discourse) made the decision that if a reply follows a post then it doesn’t require a lower-left corner Reply widget.

However if there is a break between a post and a reply, you will see a lower-left corner Reply widget.

Like this:

as it allows you to quickly read the post and all replies without the distraction of intervening posts.

1 Like