Aggressive Racing, Sprint Power, Over-Unders and More – Ask a Cycling Coach 297

its logical but not consistent. More importantly some people reply to the topic and then its game over and Discourse can’t clean up the flow.

Jonathan mentioned Unicorn during the podcast. I checked to see if anyone had completed it, and saw this absolute unit of a ride. NP of 341 for 90 minutes with a hard kick at the end. Life goals, I guess.

5 Likes

Yeah. The “2 Replies” widget and the backarrow to my comment in the top right corner aren’t showing up for me in Firefox. I just opened this up in Safari, and they show. Browser weirdness on my end I guess.

I see your further reply about adjacent posts. Guess I got struck by that little fun UI quirk.

Browser weirdness or possibly some extensions (e.g. ad blocker) interfering with the page display.

1 Like

@Nate_Pearson RE: culture / radical transparency, you should check out Ray Dalio / Bridgewater. They’ve taken this to the extreme.

1 Like

@Jonathan Whats the best way to submit questions for the podcast?

Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast - TrainerRoad! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thanks @IvyAudrain

Ivy’s laugh is excellent, that is all :smiley:

6 Likes

Excellent advice from @IvyAudrain: eat more, cry less (paraphrased) :+1:t4:

6 Likes

This was the highlight for me, strange as that is.

What was the book referenced?

1 Like

I think the book referenced was Radical Candor by Kim Scott. I can on here to look up the very same thing!

3 Likes

During this discussion, I expected to hear the crew not raise the possibility the Royal Marine’s ERG mode may be a contributing factor. Put another way, is there a reason the crew didn’t recommend trying resistance mode for over-unders?

The Strava part was funny. I was visiting family a few years back and in the rural town there were a couple Strava segments. I was just doing a moderate training run and got a kom apparently. Didn’t know it until a year later and got an email that I lost my kom :anguished:

The guy who took it said how he’s on his way to claiming all local kom’s because he’s so fast. So the next time I flew up to visit, I brought my running shoes, laced them up tight, and gave an all out effort to blow him away :rofl:. And then posted this pic on my activity

Whoops :grimacing::joy::rofl:

6 Likes

Found the Radical Candor part of the podcast really insightful and useful whilst doing my Wednesday easy ride today. Kudos to @Nate_Pearson for living Radical Candor and keeping a dignified silence on some of the controversial forum topics this week.

Trainerroad - making us faster and better people - you rock! Keep doing what you do!

4 Likes

I always thought there were a bunch of snowflakes on this forum.

That username was a good snag. :wink:

2 Likes

This is hilarious!

I try not to put too much stock into segments generally, but one time I got word a certain guy was spitting on less experienced riders on a local group ride. He had already established a pattern of being unacceptably, unjustifiably rude and condescending, and it was clear the spitting was intentional. I myself was not a regular on this group ride, and I did not know him. I did, however, witness an instance of the spitting and along with credible intel, concluded this jerk needed to learn a lesson. So, I did a big ride and took every single one of his precious KOMs in one day, and then basked in the mental image of his inbox. So far, the best use of segments I’ve encountered, personally. :wink:

18 Likes

EPIC PWNAGE!!! :rofl: :crown:

Ha!

Reminds me of this story about a SR-71 blackbird pilot:

I’ll always remember a certain radio exchange that occurred one day as Walt (my back-seater) and I were screaming across Southern California 13 miles high.

We were monitoring various radio transmissions from other aircraft as we entered Los Angeles airspace.

Though they didn’t really control us, they did monitor our movement across their scope.

I heard a Cessna ask for a readout of its ground speed.
’90 knots’ Center replied.

Moments later,a Twin Beech required the same.
‘120 knots,’ Center answered.

We weren’t the only ones proud of our ground speed that day…as almost instantly an [F-18] smugly transmitted, ‘Ah, Center, Dusty 52 requests ground speed readout.’
There was [a slight pause], then the response, ‘620 knots on the ground, Dusty.’

Another silent pause.

As I was thinking to myself how ripe a situation this was, I heard a familiar click of a radio transmission coming from my back-seater. It was at that precise moment I realized Walt and I had become a real crew, for we were both thinking in unison.
‘Center, Aspen 20, you got a ground speed readout for us?’
There was a longer than normal pause … ‘Aspen, I show 1,942 knots.’

No further inquiries were heard on that frequency.”

4 Likes

NY to London in under 2 hours. That was some machine. And built over 50 years ago.

2 Likes