Advice to Train for 100mi Gravel Ride

I’d like to try and ride the Almanzo 100 and have around 12 weeks to try to get in shape. I got about halfway through low volume SSB and wasn’t able to get it done. I realize now I didn’t have an accurate FTP. Wondering if I should jump back in. I’ve been riding two or three times a week for the past three months, but feel my overall fitness is pretty low right now - my heart rate right now on a 10min interval at 165W averages 130.

What was it about your previous training rides that you found difficult? Intensity or duration, or a bit of both?

What’s your cycling background? Have you done century rides before or is this a first?

2 Likes

With a new (and hopefully more accurate) FTP, I would redo SSB Vol 1. It’s heavily sweet spot work and as such is great preparation for long(ish) self-paced gravel rides.

2 Likes

If you are half way, you are almost done - you can do it! Get some rest and eat well. Intensity is NOT your friend if your goal is to finish an endurance ride. Endurance rides are your goal.

SSBV1 is to help you get acclimated to the program. You are getting acclimated. Do not worry about building your FTP, just worry about being able to ride at a percentage of your current FTP.

What makes you think your FTP was wrong?

1 Like

With the time you have remaining I would start ssb1 over again with an accurate ftp and try to add in or replace the weekend workout with a long outdoor ride. Sweetspot is your friend right now.
Have you ever done a century before? How about a gravel one?

1 Like

With 12 weeks available to train, the best way to prepare would be to complete a full SSB I and II progression. Since you’ve been away from structured training, starting over from the beginning would be the smoothest transition into a regimented plan. Be sure to take the RAMP test first to ensure that your FTP is set exactly where it needs to be :slight_smile:

1 Like