WKO5 - Juice worth the squeeze?

yup I gave a general procedure… The more interesting surgeries are taking something like this:

and turning it into these:

Now if only this functionality could be made available at no further cost to WKO5 purchasers… that would be amazing.

WKO5 already requires registration and is inherently linked to ones personal TP account… so it should be straight-forward for the workout builder to know what a users iLevels are at any given point in time.

So if a workout is pre-created to reference an iLevel… the exported .fit file for that days workout would automagically have the relevant zone.

This way one could have a pre-built workout library and simply select one for the day, and it would be tailored to them. This would be awesome!

PS: What was the webinar?

I got it because I was sick of paying or training peaks premium at 120 bucks a year. WK05 is one time cost of about $179 so you’re saving money since you get the PMC chart even if you don’t use one of the other incredible features.

1 Like

I knew that would be asked. I thought it might have been “The Role and Purpose of iLevels and Optimized Intervals”, but it looks like that was the one you asked your question on, so it can’t have been that. I’ll try and find it, but a quick search of that one didn’t find it

It may well have been that webinar, and I just missed it while focusing on something else (with COVID-19 I’ve been working from home for a month already and tend to have the webinars running on a screen off to the side)

I believe that holding ctrl and adding intervals by pressing right (or left, depends on the direction you want) arrow would do the trick. Sorry for OT.

1 Like

It was in fact that webinar. Listened to it last night…

2 Likes

Admittedly I don’t use WKO and have only watched the webinars (which are excellent I think).

I think what it does very well is to quantify training feedback. The is really useful if you are coaching other athletes, because it saves you a lot of time digesting qualitative feedback (“that was easy/hard” etc) via chats and meetings. It’s also useful to decide how fit an athlete really is, as opposed to who just thinks or says they are - for example if you have to select a team from a squad.

Whether it’s worth quantifying these things when you’re only coaching yourself, I don’t know. I think if you’re in tune with your body and are honest to yourself, you know most of it anyway, and you probably also know what you need to work on. But maybe having numbers to quantify those feelings will help making you actually work on it?

Most people can be in tune with themselves to varying degrees, but very very few are actually honest with themselves about FTP. Everyone wants to believe that it is higher than it actually is and that if they train at a higher power level, it means that FTP is real. Counter-intuitively, this is the exact wrong thing to do for 99% of people. The biggest opportunity most people have to get faster isn’t to add watts to an interval but to add time or an extra interval as they are feeling strong.

If you put in good faith efforts to the model and you know some of the quirks, honestly WKO is a huge addition to training effectiveness. It’s a pain in the ass to use and the UX makes me want to tear my hair out, but the underlying data is good.

If I were self-coached, the combo of WKO5 and TR is very powerful. You can very quickly modify some of the off the shelf TR plans to match up with your Optimized Intervals, and sprinkle in some of the max power testing and be in a really good spot.

I’ll also add that I test EVERY SINGLE MODEL that hits the market with my historical data to backtest against what my real FTP was at that time. IME, WKO is the only model that gets it correct.

7 Likes