WKO5 is here and it looks... different

I been lazy and haven’t rooted my phones to get rid of it. Wasn’t all that pleased when I rooted my HTC Supersonic & One so I’m hesitating with my new Google Pixel 6. (Samsungs in between so it definitely wasn’t worth it.) Once awhile FB has been necessary as info on WKO, Zwift, RGT, & rocker plate DIY is almost exclusive FB.

thank you, here is the doc:

The kernel is either {1;7} or {0.143;7} where 1/7 = 0.142857…

(A set in WKO can use {value; repeat} is described in WKO expression reference)

I have no idea what the sides parameter represents, or the value of 1 that you snagged off FB group. But I haven’t actively worked with FIR filters in decades, this is all old brain muscle memory.

In the FB group is there some explanation of what the ‘sides’ parameter represents?

OK my final piece of FB research!

From Kevin Williams:
The general form is filter(yourdataseries, {1;30}, 2), where yourdataseries could be weight, 30 is the length (in days if using weight), and 2 means average 15 on the left and 15 on the right. If you want to average 30 to the left, use 1 instead

1 Like

Thank you!!!

Thank you :+1:

Thanks again, that was really helpful and I updated some charts.

@redlude97 Just over a week ago on another thread:

We were talking about FRC and HIE modeling differences, these were the values from 9 days ago:

• WKO: 1127W / 13.7kJ / 269W (PMax/FRC/mFTP)
  • Intervals (modeled): 1070 / 13.5 / 271 (1-sec/W’/eFTP)
  • Xert: 1236 / 28.9 / 262 (PP/HIE/TP)

On Saturday I sessioned a short ~30 second steep hill, did 4 hard efforts. Impact on 90-day PDC was pushing up MMP from 7 to 31 seconds:

and with respect to FRC/HIE, saw these changes:

• WKO: from 13.7 to 16.0 (kJ)
  • Intervals from 13.5 to 13.5 (kJ)
  • Xert: from 28.9 to 29.3 (kJ)

Minor movement in some of the other values, but nothing of interest w.r.t. modeling and estimation.

As others have said, it would be amazing to have a forum off Facebook. I don’t have an account and won’t create one, and I know there are a lot of other people in the same boat that are missing out because there’s only a Facebook option. Please. Facebook is such a terrible site.

10 Likes

Yes come on already.

5 Likes

Making progress on the WKO5 webinars and am planning on using the test protocol that Tim Cusick presents (‘Initial Structured Testing’), which is basically warmup + max 5 min, warmup + max 20-30 min and warmup + max 1 min on consecutive days with rest as needed.

How would you pace these efforts?
I’m hitting 60-80mins TiZ per Threshold (FTP set to 317, so hovering between 307-317) workout currently, but don’t have any idea where my max is for the 1 and 5 min tests are.

WKO5 gives me these targets/durations:

• Short: 0:03 above 684W
  • Medium: 1:25 above 426W
  • Long: 26:23 above 311W

Additional question: What time range are you looking at when looking at residuals/testing targets? Last 30 days? Last 90 days?

My A event is a 100mi MTB race, so 3s power is pretty much irrelevant to me - how should that influence how I’m utilizing the PDC testing protocol?

For the 1 minute, you don’t pace it. Just go all out and hang on for dear life. If should be a dying quail effort. That is: if your power is even for the whole 1 minute, you didn’t go out hard enough. At least that is the advice from my coach - we are also using WKO5 mFTP, so I’ve had practice feeding the model :grinning:

4 Likes

Haha, I like that - totally makes sense and good to know that decreasing power is somewhat expected. Thanks!

I think the targets/durations from WKO5 confused me, but maybe I’ll ignore them until I’ve completed this initial set of testing to feed the model. Haven’t done any all-out efforts over 5 min so far, so hopefully will develop a feel for how hard I can go for that time.

Anything longer than 3 minutes should be paced as more of an even effort. It’s only the short efforts that should be done with an all out start and then just hang on.

Once you get through these initial max efforts, about every 4 weeks look at the power duration curve vs WKO5’s model of your power duration curve, and you want to target where the modeled PDC is most divergent (higher) than your actual PDC.

Basically you are trying to make sure that WKO5’s modeled PDC best fits your actual PDC.

2 Likes

And just like this week, when filling in the PDC always go longest to shortest

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying, that’s how I did understand it as well. For the longer ones I’m more comfortable having some idea for pacing.

From my understanding of Cusick’s tutorial, that’s pretty much how the duration/watt targets are derived in WKO5. Makes sense.

The initial structured testing Cusick showed was 5 min, 20 min, 1 min - are you saying 20-5-1?

Looking at my first set of max efforts, they were done in this order:

• 1 minute
  • 5 minutes
  • 20 minutes
  • 30 seconds

But after the first week, it was longer to shorter

1 Like

I usually look at WKO5 @ 90 days.

I keep my eye on the model and feed it now and then. I don’t do a set 2-3 days of feeding though that might be good the first time around. It’s pretty easy to throw a 5 second to 3 minute interval into any training ride when the model needs it.

I often ignore the model’s request for long duration efforts. For example, it currently wants 55 minutes at 90% of FTP. I just don’t want to do that.

Every 4-6 weeks I’ll do a Kolie Moore longer FTP test and the WKO5 model seems to like that.

For me, the model is always looking for shorter - less than 2 minute - intervals. And since I’m trying to only feed with inside workouts, really sucks. For whatever reason, I find it easier outside to do really hard short intervals. But since all of my structured work is inside on the trainer, I’m try to primarily build my PDC model inside.

There are a lot of ways to skin that cat. I will have my athletes do a test week to get the initial numbers, then I like to do short tests at the end of a recovery week and hold the longer test until they’ve got a workout in their legs so they’re not stale. I had all kinds of issues trying to FTP test during recovery weeks, and I’ve found a lot of people experience the same thing.

But I can hammer out short and sprint tests after recovery and some opener efforts pretty well. So essentially you get all the curve feeding done once every four weeks, but don’t have to muddle up too many workouts to get there.

For the test week, I do 5-1-20-sprint. I think that’s what Tim recommends in his webinar. But reason I do that is the same as above - I’m stale for long efforts if I do those first.

JMO.

2 Likes

Go find a slightly longer than 1min KOM hill near you and just go test on that. Ones that get steeper as you go i find easiest because it forces you to keep the power on. We have a local uphill TT hill that I use that runs up to a public dog park.
Always fun to go do an effort, get to the top and start dry heaving and feel like im going to cough up blood while karen is out taking her yorkie for a walk

3 Likes

I just did a 2:30 test a few weeks back on a hill like this near my house. Took the KOM from a club mate who was literally on a plane flying to move back to Japan at the time I did it. :open_mouth::grimacing:

But set a slew of all time power PRs doing it so it worked.

3 Likes