When, oh when, to begin structured workouts

Looking to start with TR very soon… I have all the equipment needed. My big question is: should I just start now, knowing that I’ll be off the bike Feb. 1st-15th, or do I just ride (commuting, group rides with friends, etc.) until I am back in town in mid-February and begin then? My A event is next cross season, so early-December is my goal (with the season beginning late-August). Thanks!!

I would start. I did my first ‘real’ Trainerroad session today. It was my first session with ERG mode. Before it was just gym bikes. I would start now so you get a feel for using Trainerroad. I am sure you will have more questions after you have done some session. Those 14 days will give you a bit of time to re-asses where you are at and maybe answer some of those questions.

1 Like

Start now. Before I started SSB (which was a couple of months after when I got TR) I chucked in random workouts and ones I’d encounter in the plans so to know what to expect. No downside to it.

1 Like

Feb 17-Dec 6 is 42 weeks; far longer than TR base, build, and specialty take to complete.
Feb 17-Aug 30 is 28 weeks; perhaps perfect with TR’s new plan builder to get to and through the season.

Wouldn’t hurt to check the math.

Have you taken a break from the bike recently, physically and mentally? As in don’t even think about a bike for 1-2 weeks or more. Perhaps you can stay motivated for that long but the 2020 cross season is a long ways out from today.

1 Like

Start today. Use Plan Builder.

2 Likes

Thanks for replying, Trippy!

I was forced into a bit of a break coming into Cx Nats, in that I got sick which became bronchitis. I lined up but I wouldn’t say that I “raced.” I’m just now getting back (commuting only to date) and feel strong and refreshed. I’m 48, and definitely recognize the increased need for rest and quality sleep.

I’m thinking that is I choose low volume for structured trng, coupled with commuting and riding for fun, I should be able to stay motivated into the Cx season.

The answer is “yesterday”.

For a lot of people new to indoor training, the first few rides won’t go as expected, largely due to discomfort on a fixed bike and inadequate cooling.

Get those first few rides over with, adjust as necessary, and then begin the real training.

3 Likes

Have you done it yet? If not, you are late.

1 Like

I wouldn’t wait. You can do a 5 week block of base training before your trip.

What would you do otherwise? Nothing?

1 Like

I would still commute and go on group rides… the question is more about getting 4-5 weeks into a 6 week plan and have to stop?

There’s nothing magic about six weeks. You could do 5 weeks, take two weeks off of rest and then start a new block when you get back.

Or just do a couple of structured TR workouts per week in addition to your commuting and group rides. As others have noted, you’ll get used to the platform.

You do have a lot of time until next cross season so maybe it’s not a big deal either way.

1 Like

Another vote for start now… I started indoor work about 7 weeks ago, and there’s plenty to learn about your set up, approaches to different aspects of the workouts, on and on that others have covered.

1 Like