Newbie to "Efficient/ Effective" indoor trng (and TrainerRoad)

First off, your podcasts are fantastic! I’m learning so much each time I listen/ watch. Now onto my question(s)…

1. I really want to up my game for the 2020 Cross season (beginning late August here in the PNW)… how would I use Plan Builder when I don’t have a specific event per se? I’m using a Stages meter and a Wahoo Kickr Snap…
  2. I need to work running into my trng, as evidenced at CxNats this year… does TrainerRoad allow that type of “cross-pollination?”
  3. Lastly, I’m a career firefighter, so I work 24 hour shifts… I commute by bike (9-12 miles each way), but obviously wouldn’t be able to perform structured rides each day. Additionally, I will be in Maryland for two (2) weeks in early February. I will not have a bike. When should I start a training plan, and will my work schedule have a significant impact on a plan? I should have more “time” to do structured trng than someone working a normal schedule, but…
    Thanks again, guys and gal!!
  1. use the plan builder and pick an A race in the cyclocross season. If one race in particular isn’t of higher priority, probably target a race towards the back half of the season so you peak and can ride out the peak for the last week or two of the season.

2 / 3, How many days a week do you work and how many days a week do you have to train? I would say a low volume plan is probably the best fit for you which will have you on 3 workouts a week. I’m not a cyclocross or running expert, but I’d add in a day or two of easy easy running when possible just to get your joints up to pace.

Thank you, Pcort!! And Merry Christmas!

I work three (3) 24hr shifts in a nine (9) day period (ie: M/W/F, then off four (4), then W/F/Su (and repeat)), which has me bike commuting each morning, M-Sa, for example. We are required to work out each day, so I can run/ weights/ core each work day. Three (3) per wk should be very doable if I double up on commute home days.

I prefer a conservative approach, so I would recommend a low volume plan and add volume if you can handle it and have a better grasp on how the training stress interacts with your life stress. As far as training goes, it’s fairly proven that it’s better to nail the low volume 100% then skip workouts on mid volume. So another reason to start with low volume, and if you feel good add workouts from the corresponding mid volume week, or just nice easy z2 / z3 rides.

Something else to think about would be to run your schedule around a 9 day week, working 3 and training 4 or 5 with 1 to 2 rest days. It would require more work on your part to organize the schedule, but might be easier to establish some consistency without being overly stressful. I threw this together with a mid volume plan as a visual aid.

1 Like

Another thought: What type of trainer are you using at home? Could you put a “dumb trainer” at work and use virtual power? I understand the limitations in clothing changes (when you gotta go, you gotta go NOW). you can get a used Kurt Kinetic for not too much, they collapse pretty well, and it might provide you a periodic opportunity to ride (even a recovery one, which can do wonders). Overall, the option might lower your stress in the long term.

The other way you can look at your schedule is to use that work time as when you get the stuff done that many of us struggle to get in - lifting and yoga.

Unfortunately, the reality is TR has not developed an algorithm that lets plan builder in corporate your work schedule. Others have discussed such schedules and while it might be on their list, the demand is just not there. No slam on TR - just reality speaking.

Thanks Dprimm! I do have an older KK fluid trainer (what I had before I got the Wahoo), and could certainly rig it up at work, but I think the second option you mention is more reasonable (yoga, stretching, etc.).