I plan to use TR for the first time starting on Jan 1 but have so many questions. The amount of quality workouts feels like a lot to me – compared to my previous experience as a distance runner – and I worry about doing this successfully. I tend to need more recovery time than I used to and get “run down” easily.
Me & My Goals:
- Started cycling at 49. Now 52.
- I ride to be as fit as possible and KOM hunt.
- Can ride 6 hours per week in the winter and up to 14-15 in the summer.
- The past 2-years I get fit by riding 100-200 miles per week with random or semi-structured efforts 1-2x per week. Some of these are multiple attacks on segment. Over 5k total the past couple years.
- I would like to be at peak fitness in late May, 2019. I keep putting my serious efforts off until August but something derails me every time so I want an early summer peak.
- Goal: Local KOMs. I have a lot of them or sit in the top 2-10 on any I put an effort into.
- Goal: 2-20 minute efforts but probably more like 3-12 with 5 being the average.
Should I ride easy for a couple weeks before beginning a plan? I will start on Jan 1 and take Dec completely off with low volume riding in Nov. These plans scare me and I worry it will start me off too hard. Suggestions?
Given my goals, am I looking at the following?
• Sweet-Spot Base at Mid Vol II for 6 Weeks
• Build Phase using a Short Power Build but somewhere between low and mid volume
• Specialty Phase with a Rolling Road or Criterium focus (not sure which)
How many days a week am I doing TR workouts? Are the other days completely off-bike rest days?
Is there an example of actual workouts I can see?
Should I forget mileage? Having said that, can I sneak in longer, fun rides with these plans? I really enjoy a fun 60-100-mile ride on a regular basis?
I don’t have a power meter or smart trainer but use a dumb trainer and sensors. I know what the website states, but will this work for me?
Thanks for reading all this. And thank you in advance for any help you can offer.